Friday, December 14, 2007

Do you want to see my new white kitchen?

We did it! All of the cabinet doors are painted and rehung, complete with new hardware. Here's how the kitchen looked before:

This is what we did: John textured the ceiling and I painted it. I painted all of the cabinet doors, and John painted everything that didn't come off. We used an antique white, and it actually blends really well with our newer bisque appliances like the new fridge and stove. As for the yellowing old microwave and dishwasher, maybe someday we can replace them and it will all match better. John also painted the green strip above the cabinets. I wanted it to look like there was a wall above the cabinets, instead of cabinets to the ceiling, like they were before. Also, it wouldn't look good with all white connecting to a white ceiling.

Here's the new look:








Obviously we have a lot of work left to do. The ugly yellow strip above the countertops is our unfinished wall. John ripped off the sheet of laminate and the wall beneath it is covered with glue. My job now is to scrape it all off and mud and sand until it's smooth. Then I'll paint it green. The countertops look super ugly now because they're too light. We'll eventually get new laminate. I'm picturing something like this:

Once we get the countertops in, I'll probably tile part of the way up the wall. Our floors are here and ready to install as soon as we're done with the walls. They'll make the biggest difference of all. They're a semi-dark oak with a hint of red to them. The kitchen can definitely use some contrast now. But we can't believe the difference the cabinets make! The dark wood used to soak up all of the light. Now when I walk into the kitchen, day or night, the white reflects light and it is so bright and happy!

Thanks for putting up with all of the house pics. We're making progress, but it takes a long time. Can't wait to post the next update!

6 comments:

Becky said...

Oh my gosh, what a difference!! I love the white! You guys are awesome. I can't wait to see the new floor.

nathansara said...

I love the way everything looks. You guys did a great job. Do you hire out yourselves to other people? If so, how much? hee! I'm excited to see what your next updated pictures will look like. Thanks for sharing.

[alisar] said...

Incredible! I can't believe how much you have accomplished in such a short time. You guys are total work-a-holics, and I'm sure I don't even know half the story of everything you've been up to. Like, oh by the way, I started a music class.
You guys are amazing! Wish we were baking up some awesome goodies in that kitchen with you.

BAK said...

It looks so beautiful! It is so amazing to look at what it used to look like; it doesn't even feel like the same kitchen!

You guys have done an amazing job. What a great house you got! And I have to say how glad I am you guys are so close.

Elise said...

One word...
AWESOME!!!

Anonymous said...

Hey, I came across your blog because we're about to finish redoing our kitchen. You guys have done amazing work.

So far we've put in hardwood floors. We're about to take on the task of repainting these horrible laminate cabinets. Any tips would be appreciated. :) We've also removed gingham blue wallpaper and painted the wall with textured paint (Ralph Lauren Suede).