Monday, February 2, 2009

Random Thoughts

I'm supposed to be doing my taxes, but TurboTax gave me a friendly little message when I signed in telling me that their service is currently unavailable. How can that be? I hope the site is up and running soon, but in the meantime....

  • At my ward bookclub a few weeks ago, I was asked to pick a book for May, when it's my turn to host. When I told the women that I had chosen These Is My Words, two different people corrected me, saying, "You mean, these are my words?" Yes, ladies, my grammar is that bad! In reality, I am a grammar snob, and pick apart every little thing I see or hear in the media. That makes this kind of questioning particularly offensive to me. C'mon, ladies, don't you know I'm a genius by now?
  • I am dying to plant my garden again! I think about it constantly. For some reason it sounds super fun to spend hours baking in the hot sun with my legs aching from the constant squatting and standing back up. I think I just need something to force me to get outside and get some sort of exercise.
  • On that note, I took my first walk in ages today. I allowed the kids to ride their bikes while I pushed Aidan in the stroller. We headed to the library, and it took a full hour to get there! I knew I would need a lot of patience, since this was our first time learning the rules of bike-riding beyond our yard. Luckily the walk home was slightly downhill and went a little faster. I hope I have the patience to try it again soon. It doesn't sound very fun now that we've done it.
  • While I was on the phone with my sister Stephanie this morning, Carter really wanted to talk. I gave him the phone and he proceeded to tell her, "I have a little baby brother. His name is Baby Aidan. We got him from my mom's tummy." And then, immediately, "We saw Santa at Grandma Rose's house." I thought the part about where we got Aidan was hilarious, as was the fact that these incidents are not at all related, and not at all recent. Kids say funny stuff.
  • When he's not cracking me up with the stuff he says, Carter is trying to send me to a mental hospital. His behavior is the worst it has ever been, and it's constant. He hits and kicks everyone in the family, he talks back and yells at me all the time, he refuses to obey just about anything we ask him to do, and he gets this look on his face and laughs a maniacal laugh that says, "I'll do whatever I want and there's nothing you can do about it." I swear to you I get to the point where I want to throw my hands in the air and walk away from this whole mom gig. I have tried every method of discipline I can think of, and I'm really trying to be consistent and act immediately upon his misbehavior. Any ideas? If he doesn't grow out of this I'm not sure what I'll do......

I guess it's time to see if TurboTax is up again. Later!

2 comments:

BAK said...

I wish I had a magic cure-all for your troubles with Carter. One will help, but it isn't fast: time. He'll grow out of whatever stage he is in, and then you'll get to adjust for something else. Not very encouraging, but at the same time, he won't always be three. I'm already sad Ben isn't three anymore: I love that age. Hang in there!

And I'm jealous you got to go on a walk. We are so cooped up; I'm looking forward to it being lighter so I can run outside.

Hope you have a good day!

Becky said...

I've recently started watching Supernanny again. She always has good tips! And it always makes me feel better because my kids aren't as bad as the kids on the show!

I agree that he'll grow out of most of it. And at least he's good for other people. Hang in there!