Sunday, May 17, 2009

So excited!


It's here - my annual post about how much I love my garden! I felt like summer started the week before Mother's Day, because that's when we got the garden back up and running. John had a free afternoon, and I was surprised to come home from errands and find the neighbor's tiller in our garage. I had decided that as soon as we tilled, I would get started. (Last year we tilled too early and the weeds had completely invaded before I even planted anything, so I started out behind the game.) So as soon as the ground was tilled and raked, I sent John to get a truckload of compost. He unloaded the truck and spread it around, and I ran to the garden shop to get seeds. Here's what I planted: green beans, carrots, peas, beets, onions, chives, spinach, swiss chard, summer squash, butternut squash, spaghetti squash, zucchini, cucumbers, pumpkins, watermelon, cantaloupe, dill, and basil. My parsley and strawberry plants survived the winter, so I transplanted them. The next week, I added tomato plants - about 9 different varieties - and cherry tomatoes, as well as green and red peppers, jalapenos, and serrano peppers.


The past few weeks have been soooo exciting, as I've gone out every day to weed and water, and to watch for little bits of green coming up. I'm pleased to say that everything I planted has at least one tiny plant coming up now, which is better than last year. I never could get the pumpkin or melon seeds to sprout, so I ended up buying starts. If you garden, you know what I mean about the excitement. If you don't, you've got to try it!


I have big plans for the garden this year. I plan to can oodles of tomatoes, and beans if I get enough this year. Last year, my beans came a handful at a time, and my baby came at the same time as the tomatoes. Plus, Tanner moved in and started school. So I let loads of tomatoes rot before I could can them, and felt sick about it. This year I think I can do it if I do a batch every few days. We'll see about that..........Also, I really wanted to make salsa last year, but didn't for all of the above reasons. Hopefully, I'll get to try this time.


I have to say how grateful I am to have a hard-working husband. He did an entire day's worth of back-breaking labor to get everything ready for me, and all while he was on call and could have needed to shower and run to work at a minute's notice. His "do it now" attitude is a perfect complement to my "I'll get to it" style. I know he wanted to help me get the garden started because he knows how much I love it and that it kept me sane last summer. I love being outside, digging in the dirt, having the kids playing outside and wearing themselves out, and feeling the sense of accomplishment when harvest time comes!

8 comments:

Ginger said...

Fun. I can't wait to get one. When I do, I'll need your advice.

BAK said...

How exciting! I can't wait to see all your stuff coming up. And this year I won't have to beg zuccinni off of you. But I will beg you to help can my tomatoes.

Gardens are the greatest. I have one sproutling coming up that will be a zuccini. Squee!

nathansara said...

so when the produce at Wal-mart isn't any good, we know where to come and buy some stuff. :0 You are making me jealous. we haven't even decided if we get to plant this year. hope you have fun.

Stephanie said...

Hi, Mel! I feel so out-of-touch right now because we still don't have our internet phone up and going. Hopefully by Tuesday... Anyhow, I loved your post on gardening. I'm a little nervous to start my first one this year, to be honest-- so wish me luck!

Anyway, I just wanted to say hi. I know you're super busy right now, but hopefully you'll notice this new comment and know that I'm thinking of you! I'm AMAZED by how much you do every single day of your life. You are always babysitting for someone or other or running your kids places or making gourmet meals for people or sewing gifts, etc. etc. etc. How do you do it all?! You're amazing! I'm not surprised that sometimes you feel like you're going to break. I feel like that a lot of the time and I don't do HALF of the things you do! You're awesome and I miss you, Mel! Hopefully we'll get to talk and/or hang out soon. Come visit anytime!

Lucy said...

It looks fantastic! John and you have done so much to that house and yard. I'm impressed.

Kristen said...

I couldn't agree with you more. Gardening is therapeutic!

Elise said...

ohhhhh. you'll have to teach me the tricks! I'll call you when I get in town. my bro leaves on tuesday, so maybe wed, thurs, or fri. whatever works for you. will you email me your number??? can't wait to see you! e

Anonymous said...

How fun! That's so awesome that you have such a big garden and yard. I'm sure it's a ton of work, but it's rewarding! That's neat how it's a family thing with John helping out and the kids playing outside while you garden. I'm jealous-I want a yard! James bought me some hanging plants and a garden box for my birthday, so my porch is my yard. It's really fun to look out there or sit and read out there. I'm just hoping I can keep them alive. And I do have my tomato. So fun!