Thursday, December 26, 2013

Do you watch Duck Dynasty?

I do. Our whole family loves it. Yes, it's gotten more and more staged, and that's bugging me, but I still love those Robertsons. Especially Uncle Si! And I love that they're a large family with strong Christian values. But let's face it - they can be a little hillbilly-ish. Sometimes they say some ignorant-sounding things. And I think that applies to what Phil said in his GQ interview.

I think A&E may lose some viewers over the choice to suspend Phil. And I kind of hope they do.
Celebrities get away with all sorts of abhorrent behavior without consequences! I could try to explain my stance on the controversy, but I just found a blog post on this topic that I think is brilliant. If you don't have time to read it, here's my favorite quote from the post: "Jesus is the most real source of mercy in the history of time, and He loves us all with a fierce, indescribable love, and none of us deserve it any less than anyone else, and THAT is the shocking headline we should be proclaiming." If you do have time, go to Jen Hatmaker's blog and read what she has to say. Jen is very active in the Christian community, and somehow hers is the first Christian voice I've heard preaching love and mercy in this whole thing. I love the idea that, "Because I love mercy for myself, I can’t help but love it for everyone else, and I won’t cheapen it by imagining that my grace is free but someone else’s must be earned." If only all Christians could think, and ACT, the way she does.



6 comments:

Stephanie said...

First of all, Cory was begging me to watch Duck Dynasty the other night (for the first time) just to support those guys, and I totally dogged on him. I know next to nothing about their show, but he's into the whole controversy. It's so funny to read that your family loves the show! You've totally made me want to watch it now. Cory is gonna be thrilled! And I love that quote about mercy. That's awesome.

Stephanie said...

Just so you know: we watched a Duck Dynasty last night! Hilarious!

Jeanne said...

I heard about this Duck Dynasty thing while we were in Austria. I never knew anything about the show -- I think I thought it was a nature show :)
I want to see it, but can you picture Dad watching it??? That will be funny.

Becky said...

No, I don't watch it. But I do watch plenty of other reality shows, so I have to draw the line somewhere! (And yes, I realize you wrote this post 4 months ago!)

fifa-coin said...

Depending on your Combat and Slayer levels, fight any of the giants, demons and dragons.Clear the Slayer caves and towers. These contain powerful monsters available only to members with the Slayer skill--their drops can sell for 25,000 or more with rare items worth millions of RuneScape gold.
Fifa 15 coins

Buy fifa 15 coins

Govind chavan said...

very good one