Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Peace

Surprise, surprise, the kids are sick. I took Katie to the doctor yesterday, after a night with a super high fever, and she has an ear infection. As luck would have it, we were finishing our 2-hour ordeal at the doctor's office and pharmacy, when I noticed that Carter felt warm. Having my thermometer in my purse, the awesome mommy I am, I found that he, too, had a fever. By this time, the doctor's office was closed, so I gave them both ibuprofen, started Katie on her antibiotics, and we drove home.

At 1:30 this morning Carter was up with a fever of 104! I freaked out, of course. John reassured me and we gave him more ibuprofen, which took almost an hour to start working. (The doctor said that Katelyn also has a viral infection, which is causing a really bad cough that Carter has too, so we think that explains the fever.) Carter never did get back to sleep. We let him stay in our bed for a while, but that got really frustrating - he was just kicking and squirming and wanting to be up. So at 4:00 Katelyn woke up and it was all over. John and I took turns trying to get some sleep for the next 2 hours, but to no avail. So my poor hubby has got to be exhausted at work!

In the meantime, I've just been waiting for the inevitable crash. But it wouldn't come! The kids have been running around trying to convince themselves they're not tired, while exploding into fits at the slightest provocation. Attempts to get Carter to nap were futile, until now. I somehow tricked them both into their beds, where I knew they'd have to succumb to sleep.

Wow, it's been a long day already! I'm off to take a nap..................

3 comments:

BAK said...

I'm sorry they are sick! I hope that they give you a nice long nap & sleep better tonight. Hang in there!

Becky said...

Oh no, not again! I hope you don't get sick again. When I'm pregnant, I have no immune system and get sick all the time.

You probably don't want to know this, but I haven't had to take Julia or James to the doctor for anything except a well check for close to two years! (knock on your new wood floors for me!)

luvmy5boyscora said...

Good luck getting some rest. You have to when you are pregnant, or you will get sick too. I really feel for ya!