Saturday, March 22, 2008

We're having a baby boy! OK, if you live anywhere near me, you know that I've had this information for weeks now. (Thank you to those of you who've inquired about my well-being during my long blogging absence.) I am so lucky to have a husband in radiology. I got to find out the sex of our baby in week 14! In the past, my doctor has always made me wait until week 20. Really, knowing that the baby's a boy hasn't changed my behavior in the slightest, except maybe that I've had good reason to not buy all of the cute little spring dresses I oooh and aaah over at this time of year. Oh, and I spend a lot of time trying to think of boy names, to no avail. We have not come up with a single name that both of us really like. Good thing we've got so much time.....

So, to answer some of your questions, and to seem totally self-absorbed, here's an update. I feel great! I feel better than I ever have at this stage of pregnancy. With my past pregnancies, I've vomited from week 8 to week 40. It's been over a week now since my last....well, you know. I have to thank my hubby for his role in this. He wrote me a prescription for Zofran, which is my favorite anti-nausea. (I still get a little thrill when I see his name on my pill bottle!) Now when I start to feel that icky, spinny, excess saliva in my mouth feeling, I pop a pill. I think this works for my body and my mind, tricking me into not being sick. I have to say that I took Zofran the entire time I was pregnant with Katelyn and it did NOT work this well. I could rarely go a day without worshipping the porcelain goddess back in that fun 9 month period. So hopefully I'll just be less sick with each pregnancy.

I guess that's enough sick talk. I'm so thankful to be feeling good again! Of course, I'm still a paranoid pregnant woman. I started worrying that I haven't been able to recognize any movement yet, so when I was at the hospital to have some blood tests done on Wednesday, John took me into an ultrasound room and we peeked at the baby. He's just fine! He was putting his cute little hand up to his face and moving all over the place. On Thursday night I thought I could feel some little somersaults. I think they were real, because I've been feeling more - it's getting to be that time of pregnancy.

So about the boy thing.....I really thought I wanted a girl. To tell you the truth, I felt a little cheated at our first ultrasound (at 8 weeks) when there was only one fetus. I really thought I'd get to have twins to make up for how long it took to get this baby. I know, not only is that selfish, but I highly doubt that I have the skills to deal with twins, especially with my other kids being 2 and 4! Anyway, I was hoping for a girl so I could get out all of the little dresses and pink everythings. But once the idea of a boy settled in my mind, it really makes sense. Carter will have a little boy closer to his age to play with. The baby will be pretty far apart from Katelyn in age anyway, so she can wait for a sister, although she's made me promise that she'll get one someday. I hope I can keep that promise! Now Katelyn has a lot of pressure on her because she's the only girl. I decided, subconsciously at first, that if I only had one girl, she'd have to be super girly. I realized I was feeling this way when she was wearing a dress for no reason for the third day in a row. I even made her a little spring dress (pictures to come) this week. We're going to have fun being the only girls in the family for a while! And I'm excited for my little boy.

4 comments:

Becky said...

That's so exciting! Little boys are so sweet. Wow, I had no idea you were so sick with Katelyn and Carter. I'm so glad you're feeling well. How cool to be able to just pop into an ultrasound room to check on the baby!

BAK said...

I love that you are having a boy. Carter will love having a brother, and Katelyn will be such a help to you. I never thought about the twin thing, but I can see why you would hope for that (I secretly hoped with both of mine that they would be twins). I am glad he is doing well inside his warm little shelter. I can't wait to meet him! You guys are so great. We love being friends with you.

Happy Easter!

Amy Sorensen said...

Congratulations, Melanie! I am happy for you that the pregnancy is going well and the sickies are starting to subside a bit. Good luck with the name! Boy names are hard.

Stephanie said...

I'm definitely glad you haven't been on your deathbed sick this pregnancy! I understand about your having wanted a little girl at first. Even with two girls already, I don't think I'll ever stop wanting little girls! It will be neat to watch your little family evolve-- and I'm glad Carter will have a little bro. to play with. Good luck with the name thing. I'll keep sharing my crazy name ideas with you... and anyhow, you guys will find the perfect name in time. Cory's good friend in NYC just had a baby and it actually took them 2 or 3 days after she was born to settle on a name! Funny, huh?!