Friday, March 28, 2008

Why I blame Walmart for the lousy meals I've been serving lately

I served my family Hamburger Helper for dinner Wednesday night. To me, this is the equivalent of giving them garbage on a plate - full of chemicals with names I can't pronounce, let alone understand, completely devoid of any nutritional value, and chock full of fat and calories. Now don't get me wrong. I think it's ok to serve the occasional nutritionless meal, but I have been really struggling lately. Dinner time rolls around and the last thing I want to do is cook. Nothing ever sounds good to me, so I fight the urge EVERY SINGLE NIGHT to drive to Papa Murphy's and grab a pizza that I know everyone will like and will require minimal effort to prepare. Unfortunately, our budget doesn't really allow for that kind of extravagance, and then you have the whole fat/calories issue.

I was pretty good about menu planning before this last month or two. I would come up with a list of meals for the week, make my grocery list accordingly, and head off to Walmart for the grand shopping expedition. And there, my friends, is the rub. I can't do Walmart anymore. I know, I know - some of you are cringing and wondering why I would shop there anyway. Yes, we've seen the documentary about the evils of the retail giant, but we decided that the savings outweighed the accusations against the place and have continued shopping there. But my last Walmart trip just about did me in. I'm not kidding you - I was so exhausted by the time we were done that I could barely push the shopping cart to the car. This pregnancy is wearing me out already!

So if I were sticking to my usual shopping regimen, I would have the ingredients in my house for a meal or two at supper time. Even if nothing sounded good, I could force myself to cook and by the time it was ready, I'd be able to sit down and eat with my family. But I've been avoiding that oversized store like the plague, so I have nothing in my fridge or cupboards, and I'm forced to get creative (not in a good way), or head to the store for ingredients to whatever I can stomach.

There is a delightful alternative to Walmart just around the corner from my house. Oh sweet shopping bliss, thy name is Harmon's. I have never been in a store that made me quite so happy. The people who work at Harmon's are friendly and helpful. They offer a service they call "drive and load" which, although I don't use it much, is very helpful. They keep your groceries while you drive up to the special "drive and load" door, then you sit in your car while a nice boy loads everything in for you. The first time I used this service, they even gave me a little plastic garbage bag that fits over the cigarette lighter in my van. Isn't that sweet? The store is small enough that a trip to the dairy section in the back doesn't feel like a marathon, yet big enough to contain my every grocery desire. The meat is legendary for its quality, and the produce section is full of beautiful, unbruised and colorful fruits and veggies. (Not at all like picking through the bruised apples at that other store!) Everything is grand, until I start looking at the prices. Here's a little example for you. Velveeta at Walmart - $3.99. Velveeta at Harmon's - $6.99. (Please don't ask why I would ever purchase Velveeta. I promise my family won't all die of heart attacks at early ages.) I probably don't have to tell you that I just can't afford to do my regular grocery shopping at Harmon's.

So here's how we ended up eating Hamburger Helper for dinner. I went to pick up Tanner like I do every Wednesday night at 5:30. I had no idea what we were going to eat (a little late to still be clueless, don't you think?), so we stopped at Harmon's on our way home. (I allow myself to go there for small grocery runs because there's no such thing as a quick in-and-out at Walmart.) I allowed Tanner to decide what sounded good for dinner. Feeling disgusted with myself, I also grabbed the ingredients for two yummier and healthier dinners to finish off the week. I also picked up a yellow squash and a zucchini, which I served with the hamburger slop. Now maybe you don't think I'm quite so bad. And last night the menu included spinach and roasted red peppers in a parma rosa sauce, served over angel hair pasta, and salad with almonds, craisins, and feta cheese, topped with a delightful raspberry vinaigrette. There, have I redeemed myself?

8 comments:

Amy Sorensen said...

I think that someone needs to invent a word for that horrible feeling you get, leaving Walmart. It is a special kind of anxiety mixed with annoyance mixed with shame mixed with "how the heck did I just drop a hundred bucks here?"

I'm with you. I. Hate. Walmart. But you always get tugged back because of the prices. Luxury is being rich enough to not shop at Walmart. ;)

Stephanie said...

You already know how I feel about WalMart. The funny thing is-- I really don't know anyone who honestly likes WalMart. Strange, isn't it?! But there is such a grand freedom when you don't feel tied to that place for all your needs. We're definitely not rich, but we've made the commitment to support Dick's and I always feel so good about shopping there. Anyhow... it really doesn't matter to me where you shop so I don't want to sound self-righteous about anything, but I don't miss WalMart for a SECOND! Not even the prices. (You forget, anyway, when you're not used to shopping there, how cheap things are. But what a price to pay.... arghh.... someone get me off the subject....)

Anyway, on the subject of nutrition, I could BET that you serve far more nutritionally-sound meals than I do. And I totally understand what you're going through right now. I go in phases, too, of cooking great meals on a constant basis and then having canned soup every night for a week. Don't beat yourself up, though! You ARE pregnant, not feeling great all the time, and more tired than usual. Your family will survive until you're back to your usual gourmet cooking. (What is a parma rosa sauce, by the way? It sure sounds good, whatever it is!)

:-)

Becky said...

You're amazing! I think for every wonderful meal like you described at the end of your post, you deserve 2 nights of preparing pizza or hamburger helper! Especially since you serve veggies with it!

I loved Harmon's, too, when we lived in SLC! I didn't go there as often as I would have liked because the closest one was on 33rd south and 13th east, and we lived at the U.

I don't really have any ethical issues with Wal-mart, but I still don't like to go there! I only go once or twice a month for specific things that are way cheaper there, and I usually wait until Jeromy can go with me!

nathansara said...

I agree with you and everyone else in the world about Wal-Mart. Nathan and I are deciding weither to go on strike and just shop at Harmon's (We like it there). So what do you do... nice and friendly serivce over I can save some money for the month?

adrienne said...

It is so funny that I read your post about Walmart. In the Arlington area we don't have a Walmart. Walmart is to cheap to pay for the high price of land I'm sure. But last night we had to drive to a Walmart about 35 min away to return a b-day present that Nathan recived. OH my! Costumer service is already pretty crapy here on the east coast but man it was really bad last night. I'm came into the store already not loveing walmart but left really really not liking Walmart. But I still did some shopping there and it is cheaper- but I hated giving them my money!
Hang in there!-by the way when we were living in UT we had a Harmons in our back yard. What an amazing store. That store is like a piece of heaven compared to the very over priced small double decker grocery stores back here!
Best of luck to you-and ps I hate planning dinner too...
love,
Adrienne

J.ME said...

This has nothing to do with your walmart story, but congrats on your upcoming baby boy! I hope things are going well! Take care....Jme

Elise said...

Oh Mel, I've been on a dinner hiatus too. During our L.O.N.G. winter here I have found the glory of the crock pot. I'll send you over some recipes. I put it in the morning, and don't think about it until I pull it out at night.

SO with you on the WalMart thing. We have a store here that also does the drive-up thing and all the really nice people, but alas, I must also hit the WM for the large shopping trips.

Hang in there. I hope the end of your 2nd tri is a little bit better : )

Thinking about ya!
E

nathansara said...

Hey there. When you get a chance I have name tagged you. You need to explain how and why you named your cute children what you did. Hope the dinner situation is going better for you. Take care.