Monday, August 18, 2008

Announcing...

...the birth of Aidan Phillip Bell!


I am sitting at the computer, trying to type with one hand while I hold the newest addition to our little family. Aiden was born at 11:01 p.m. on August 16th. He weighed 7 pounds, 11 ounces, and was 20.5 inches long. The labor went so smoothly! Once they got us into our room at the hospital, they had to give me 2 bags of IV antibiotics, so they didn't want me to deliver until those were in. If it hadn't been for that, I think the whole thing would have been over in a flash. As it happened, it took about 8 1/2 hours from the time I started having regular, painful contractions (at Costco) to when Aidan was born. But it only took about 6 minutes from the time I started pushing! John and I were amazed at how easy the delivery was!

Here are some pictures from the hospital:

Mom and baby about an hour after birth. Aidan swallowed some meconium,
so they rushed him away and we didn't get him back until he was all bathed and
perfect. His face is puffy and slightly bruised from the super quick delivery.


Katelyn and her new little brother.

Carter and Aidan.

The new and improved Bell family, minus Tanner, who hadn't joined us yet.

12 comments:

Becky said...

Yay, congratulations! How exciting! Did you seriously push out 11 pounds 7 ounces, or is that supposed to read 7 pounds 11 ounces? For your sake, I'm hoping it was a typo! I can't get over how big Carter is! I'm so happy for you guys to have little Aidan in your family.

Melanie said...

I think I'll fix that right now. 11 pounds probably would have killed me! Did I hear that you guys might be coming to Salt Lake soon?

nathansara said...

Have been thinking about you and checking your blog to see what Aiden looks like. How adorable. I love it. Congrats and we are so happy for everyone. You were a cute pregnant lady and you also look good for just delivering a baby. What is your secret? Take care and have fun with the little one. Did Heather tell we have a new song leader? Yippie!

luvmy5boyscora said...

He is so cute! Congratulations Melanie! I love how excited Katelyn and Carter seem to be. Have fun and take it easy for a little bit.

Anonymous said...

Baby Aidan is so cute! It's just not fair how great you look in the pictures. The pictures of me when I first met Evan-awful. Anyway, I'm glad it was a relatively fast labor- even though you had to feel the contractions and stuff at first. I usually have to type (one-handed)while I'm feeding baby Evan- it's a good time to blog. I can't wait to meet the beebee. He looks so little and sweet.

Ginger said...

He is so so cute. That was so fun holding him last night. I want to hold him again but I have a feeling it's gonna be tough getting him away from his mommy. Hope you get some good holding in while your kids are gone! Congrats!

Ginger said...

And I take it Katelyn is happy to be a big sister after seeing her in that picture. Your kids are all so cute.

BAK said...

He is so cute! Congratulations on your sweet, sweet son.

I love that picture of Katelyn!

Lucy said...

Congratulations Melanie! I'm so happy for you and your family. He is adorable and I wish I was around to help you keep him cuddled:)

Stephanie said...

Cute pictures! (Although everyone should know that Aidan is 10 times cuter in real life! He is such a handsome guy!) I love the family picture at the bottom of your post. You guys will treasure that one forever! I am SO glad that you had such a smooth labor and delivery. Things seemed to work out so well with the timing of it all. Happy recovering!

[alisar] said...

Where did my comment go??? I left one a few days ago! I will re-post lest you think I haven't been checking on you.
Oh, gorgeous Bell family! I am so happy for you. What a happy addition little Aidan is to your crew. Mel, could you look any lovelier? I have yet to see you when you are not the picture of femininity. Best of luck in your recovery. I hope we can talk soon.

adrienne said...

We just got home from vacation and I check your blog and found some very exciting new! Congrats! Wow how amazing! I am so happy for you and want to wish you the very best. Taking care of 4 I'm sure is so much work. But I don't know anyone so qualified as you!
much love,
Adrienne