Saturday, November 8, 2008

WARNING: Do NOT try this at home

I have to tell you before you read this that I am a reasonably intelligent individual. You may find that hard to believe after hearing my story.

Two weeks ago I had a little sewing accident. John was on call at the hospital, so my sister and I were sewing while our kids played. Julie left around 10:30 and I went back to my machine to try to finish the blanket I was working on. I had been having trouble with my bobbin for the last hour that we'd been working, so I was very frustrated and rushing to get the last seam sewn. In my hurry, I managed to sew through my left index finger. No joke. The needle went through my fingernail just above the cuticle and broke off inside of my finger tip. I was in shock at first, and it took me a minute to figure out what had happened. It took about 10 minutes before the pain kicked in - and boy did it kick in! I called John, who was just leaving to come home, to see if I should go have it x-rayed. We decided not to, and he came home and shot lidocaine into my finger so that I could sleep.

I felt pretty good about not doing anything, mostly because my sister Julie had done the same thing about a year ago, and she did go to the ER. They took an X-ray, then cut open her finger and tried to find the needle. They repeated the process several times and were never able to find the darned thing. Eventually, it worked its way out of her finger. So I figured I'd skip the pain - and the ER bill - and let nature take its course.

For two weeks I haven't been able to touch anything with that finger because the needle was digging into my skin from inside. When the pain started getting worse, I went to see John at work and finally got it X-rayed. Here's what we saw:

The needle went through my bone. Obviously it wasn't going to come out on its own, and I didn't like the idea of getting stabbed if I ever touched anything, so I asked John to perform surgery for me. We created the most sterile environment possible on a kitchen table, then John numbed me up and went to work. The needle wasn't close enough to the surface, so he had to cut into my finger. Let me tell you, it's not easy to pull a needle out of bone! It was so difficult and took so long that we almost gave up. But he got it! Tanner held a flashlight for John through the entire surgery, and I never looked at it once.

Now, thanks to my doctor hubby, I have three stitches in my finger tip and I'm needle free! If only it would stop throbbing...

12 comments:

nathansara said...

Holy Crap! I'm not sure of what else to say. :0

Amy Sorensen said...

OH MY GOSH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That looks exceedingly painful. Holy cow! I'm glad you could get it out. And it's weird but I love the idea of your hubbie taking care of you like that. Sweet!

I don't think I would have looked, either...

But, of course, the most important ;) question: did you finish the blanket???

BAK said...

I love this story. It is just exactly what I would expect from you & John. You know, performing surgery at the kitchen table. He is amazing! The x-ray is the best part.

We love you guys!!

Ginger said...

Oh no, you poor thing! I can see it literally pays to have an MD husband. I hope it is feeling much better.

p.s. I am so glad to see you back in bloggerland! Your posts are always entertaining.

Elise said...

Seriously. Just reading this made my finger tip hurt! Please don't stop sewing though. You are too good at it. The other day Hannah was all snuggled up in the cute hippo blanket you made her and I smiled and thought of what a great friend you are! You are also an inspiration and I have taken up a little (very little) quilting too. I'm still borrowing my friends sewing machine, and deciding what kind I might ask Santa for for Christmas.

Stephanie said...

I've just gotta say that you're about the bravest woman I know!!! I don't know if I could have gone through with a surgery like that at my own kitchen table. Good work to you and John and Tanner for getting the needle out. And now you have a cool x-ray picture and story to tell! :-) YEOW!!!!

Anonymous said...

Oh man, just thinking about it...
It really is a cool picture. You really are brave to let him operate like that! It sure comes in handy to have a dr. husband. I can't believe you guys did that with all the kids around, just in the kitchen, with Tanner holding the flashlight! I'm glad it's out now and hope it doesn't hurt anymore.

luvmy5boyscora said...

MELANIE!!!!!!!!!!! OUCH!!! This is so crazy! I am glad John was able to take care of you and glad you don't have to live with a needle in your fingertip forever!

luvmy5boyscora said...

Ok, just told Josh about the whole thing and he is grossing out! Way to go John he says!

Becky said...

At least you can still type!

I can't believe you went around for 2 weeks with a needle stuck through your bone! I don't think I would let Jeromy do surgery on me. I hope it stops hurting soon.

[alisar] said...

John is a medical version of Man vs. Wild. He's like a survival doc - give him some sterile bandages and a pocket knife, and he can work his way out of anything.
I'm very impressed with you both!

Lucy said...

I can't believe John just did that at home. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't trust Jay. Is that bad? I mean, I think he's a great doctor and all...but his ER rotation was quite a while ago.

I hope you are healing!