Thursday, November 20, 2008

Ta-da!

All right, I think it's time for a new post. Aren't you sick of looking at that X-ray? I don't have a lot of time today, so I thought I'd share some fun pictures. (I apologize to those of you who have been in my house and seen my kitchen a million times already.)

In July, I was spoiled enough to get my new countertops! There was no way I was going to pay the extra money to have my old countertops removed, so we did it ourselves. I crawled around in the cupboards and found all of the screws and loosened them, then pried the countertops away from the walls. Once they were completely unattached, I had my big strong husband lift them off and carry them out. I had to repair and repaint the wall, and then the installers came with the new countertops. I'm so excited because the kitchen is basically done now! It's been a long road and a lot of work.

So just for fun, here's a step-by-step view of the transformation. First, the kitchen when the previous owners lived here:
Next, we painted the cupboards white (and the top of the wall green):
Then, we installed a new floor and repaired and painted the backsplash:
And finally, drum roll please.......................new countertops:


In case you're wondering, they're laminate with a shiny and slightly textured finish. The dark, granite-like color is a departure from my usual style, but I really like the contrast it brings to the white cabinets.
Thanks for looking! Hopefully I'll have time for a more interesting post soon!

5 comments:

BAK said...

Your kitchen is so pretty. Both on the internet AND in person.

I can't believe how much bigger it looks with the modifications you've made. Good job, Melanie and big strong Husband!

Becky said...

Absolutely amazing!

Elise said...

Love it! You have such great style. So I got a new Bernina! I'm so exciting and having a blast learning to sew. I need your new address. Will you email it to me? elisedg@mac.com

Miss you!

adrienne said...

So beautiful! I saw it in person-so this transformation means even more to me to look at done! Wow great job guys. All I can say if you are a brave momma do have a snake that big in your house! Hats off to you! We miss you. The children are so cute and growing just like mine!
Happy Holidays!
love,
Adrienne

luvmy5boyscora said...

Melanie-I LOVE IT!! It is beautiful. Good job. I can't believe it is even the same kitchen. You guys are amazing. Do you just LOVE to cook in there?!