Monday, June 29, 2009

A change of plans

I was driving home this afternoon from lunch at the park with the kids when I happened to find my favorite music in the whole world on the classical station on satellite radio (one of my new favorite things!). Rachmaninoff's 2nd piano concerto was playing, and the 2nd movement, my favorite of the three, was just barely starting. My first thought was, "Maybe I should take a long route home, because this is going to last longer than our drive home." I did drive straight home, completely immersed in the music. I was playing along - in my head, with my fingers, and in my heart. (It's sappy, but you're just going to have to go with it - or stop reading now. It only gets worse.) I have adored this piece of music since the moment I first heard it, and it instantly became my dream to perform it live with an orchestra some time in my life.

We pulled into the garage halfway through the third movement. Tanner opened the door to get out, then realized that I wasn't budging. He waited a few minutes, but gave up on me and went inside before it was over. (The kid now has ear buds in and his IPod going at all times, so my music doesn't even make his radar - not that he'd care about it anyway.) I was kind of glad that he went inside, because the music builds and builds, and the ending is so dramatic and moving that I had tears in my eyes. (This is not abnormal. John and I went to the symphony with his parents before we were married and saw this piece performed live. I cried practically the whole way through. It's hard to explain my emotional connection to the music, but it's pretty strong. I wanted to be the girl playing the piano so badly I could taste it!) This time the tears served another purpose. It occurred to me that I had given up my dream. I said goodbye to my piano major after Katelyn was born and I was pregnant with Carter, when it became obvious that I couldn't be a mom and finish such an intense major at the same time. It was an extremely difficult decision for me. While I hope to finish my degree when the kids are older, I really feel like the time has passed for me to fulfill that dream. I can't see any opportunities arising for some middle-aged lady to perform with a symphony orchestra, and to choose the music. And I've lost so much of my ability. I know it's my fault to an extent. I should be making it a priority to practice daily. But I couldn't possibly play 4 hours a day like I was back then, so I'm going lose some dexterity regardless. Anyway............

I was sitting in the car, tears in my eyes, the music moving through me as I mourned the loss of a dream. And then it hit me. I didn't lose my dream - I traded it! I always knew that I wanted to be a mom and stay home with my kids. I didn't dream of having children like some people do, but I just kind of knew that that's what I wanted. And obviously it is what I want. I chose to stop going to school, and I've chosen to keep having kids. We have another one on the way, due in January, and I'm not even sure that it'll be our last. So obviously, this is what I want to be doing, right? I'm living my dream!

I couldn't really shake the melancholy feeling I had, even with my realization. I carried it with me all afternoon. I'm still allowed to mourn the loss of a dream, even if I chose to lose it, I think. But I feel very grateful. My husband works so hard so that I can be at home, and he supports me and realizes more every day how important it is to have someone at home full time. It blesses our children's lives and will continue to do so. And I will always feel good about the decision I made to be at home with them, even if it means giving up some things I could have done for myself. And I still can and do bless our lives with my love of music.

How about you? What have you sacrificed, and does it make you sad, or are you at peace?

11 comments:

nathansara said...

What the? Did I just read you are expecting again. Congrats. That is awesome.

I feel like I have made some sacrifices to stay home with my kids (like living with my Mom for forever) :), but we have been blessed for it. Although I have to keep reminding myself of that I am grateful that I even have that opportunity.

Amy Sorensen said...

BIG congratulations! I hope you are feeling ok!

I have definitely given up or postponed some of my dreams in order to be a mom. I think that as you progress into motherhood, there are things all the time that you continually sacrifice. Am I at peace? Sometimes. Sometimes not so much. I wouldn't change, wouldn't prefer to NOT be a mom. I love being a mom. But I do still hold on to those other dreams, too, waiting for the time they can be worked on.

I also have to say this: you should go back to school when the time is right! even if you don't ever work in the field, the knowledge and experience are worth it!

Tanya said...

Congratulations! That's so exciting that you have a new little one on the way.

I don't think I've had to make any huge sacrifices (I can probably say that because I don't have children). But there are a million little sacrifices I've made being married. Depending on the day, some of those sacrifices seem huge. I just keep trying to remember that they are small.

kim said...

Congratulations!!! Now I feel that I'm falling behind.

I know that I often feel that I've sacraficed or that I am missing out on something big in life in order to be a mom or to have the luxury of staying home, and then you look into their beautiful faces and you know it is all worth it.

Stephanie said...

I really appreciated your post, Mel, because I've been doing a lot of similar thinking lately... just in slightly different ways. I just wanted to add that I've realized that, although I've sacrificed some of my dreams to stay home and raise my children, those things I love doing have become a part of my family's life. I feel like I am transferring some of those dreams to my children-- like love of music, gardening, athletics, and sewing. So, in a way, we mothers are SHARING our dreams and not losing them! But, then again, some of those larger dreams really are lost, and I think it's definitely okay to mourn them! If you had continued your path in music, there's no doubt in my mind that you would now be playing piano concertos with an orchestra-- and that is definitely a huge dream to give up!

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I just hope you know how lucky and blessed your children truly are for having you home raising them every day. I think that, alone, is worth every sacrifice.

Ginger said...

Every mom is sacrificing something. I have sacrificed my dreams of finishing college up to this point and now the tables have turned and I have to go back to college and get a job because I don't have the same blessings as many other woman have as in financial stability. I am happy for those who do but I can't count that as one of my blessings. Any mother who has her childrens' best interest at heart who maybe loves them deeply but also needs to provide some finanical support at the same time to be able to provide the children with a halfway descent life can also be a successful mother. I will be more gutted when I miss a t-ball game than I will be if I had to miss a math class or two. So my answer to your question is:

up to this point I have made sacrifices to stay home with my kids. Our house is dinky, we drive a '90 4 Runner and an '03 Subaru. We had 2 kids in an apartment in the beginning.

Well, now my sacrifices will be: t-ball games, preschool field trips, next week and the week after that I will miss dinner with my family and for the next few years the sacrifices I will be making will be too many to name or count but that is my lot right now and I will be doing my best both in loving my children and keeping the lights on and a roof over their heads.

luvmy5boyscora said...

Melanie,
I love this post! It is so true, we give up so much, but we gain so much. Sometimes it's hard to keep it all in perspective. I love how you said-you are living your dream-being a mom and having kids. That was my dream too. Some days are long, but at the end of the day when you go in one last time to make sure the kiddos are sleeping soundly, nothing is better than that. Nothing.

Oh, and CONGRATULATIONS!!! I had no idea!!! I hope you have been feeling okay! You are an amazing mother.

Jeanne said...

I remember my sisters and I seeing golf clubs and skiis in closets around the house. Eventually it dawned on us that they had belonged to our parents and they had actually golfed and skiied at some point in their lives. But they gave it all up to spend their time with us. (You have to remember that those kinds of hobbies weren't very easy to do with children in my parents' day.) The realization that they cared so much about us means the world to me. Love, Mom :)

[alisar] said...

I love how passionate you are about music. I understand what you mean about giving up on a dream, but I think you are making a more significant contribution to music than you realize through your hobbies and service at church.
I can't wait to see you in DC!

Elise said...

You my friend are an example of 'good motherhood' to all. I'm so happy for you and John and the lucky little spirit that will join your family. I'm betting that your talents will be magnified for your sacrifice and selflessness, if not here... in the life to come. It was fantastic seeing you!!!! Love ya, E

Becky said...

Wow, congrats on the pregnancy!

I'm not good enough at anything to be able to say I gave it up for motherhood. Sometimes I feel sad that I didn't do more theater after high school, but it's not like Broadway was knocking on my door or anything! Actually, I feel like I'm pretty mediocre at everything I do, including motherhood, although I'm REALLY good at loving my kids! I remember one day in college, not wanting to go to class and wishing I could just stay home and do laundry all day. Now I'm cursed with never-ending laundry piles, but I wouldn't trade my mommy job for anything.