Monday, August 17, 2009

And now, about the cake

Apparently cake decorating is the latest thing. There are a million different shows on tv about the subject, my personal favorite being Cake Boss, in case you were wondering. I think it's funny how the stuff our moms and grandmas were so good at seemed to be forgotten, but comes back in waves. It seems like everyone I know is into quilting, gardening, even canning. I wasn't even surprised to see Becky's post about her recent foray into cake decorating, which I read after I had purchased what I needed to create Aidan's birthday cake. Hopefully she won't turn me in to Cake Wrecks when she sees these pictures.

I was super anxious about the whole cake thing. I'm not sure why - it's really not life or death. The worst thing that could have happened is that I served an ugly cake. Or I could have served a plain old frosted chocolate cake, which no one in my family would have complained about. (OK, maybe John would have complained, but not about how it looked. He's just not that into chocolate.) On Friday night I went to Michael's and spent 30 minutes in the cake decorating aisle, then gave the cashier an arm and a leg for the small bag of supplies that I brought home. Then I had nightmares all night about making the cake. Seriously, I hardly slept at all. You'd think I had a big exam or something, not a silly cake to make.

When it came down to it, it took me a long time to decorate this cake, but mostly due to inexperience. And it was TOTALLY worth it. The kids got the biggest kick out of it. Carter told everyone at Aidan's party about how mom "squirted red stuff all over the cake and it took her a looong time." He was seriously impressed. So would I do it again? Absolutely! I'm already planning the kids' future birthday cakes, fully expecting, of course, that my skills will improve with each one.

I can't forget to thank my friend Ginger. I was inspired by her awesome cakes, and couldn't have done it without her recipes, advice, and encouragement. Although I'm sure this would look better if she had been holding my hand while I did it.

So without further ado......



Fun, huh? Doesn't it make you want to try your hand at it?

8 comments:

Kristen said...

That is an awesome cake. I am a huge fan of Cake Boss, but I think Duff is my favorite. I just posted a picture of the cake my mom and I made for Brynn and Wes. It was a pretty sorry excuse for a cake. But, it was fun and I'd try it again!

Ginger said...

Aw I KNEW that it looked perfect even though you said otherwise. Good job! Cake decorating is fun.

Stephanie said...

WOW! Even Cory was impressed when he saw the picture! Hmmm... it does make me want to try my hand at it (although I'm not sure I have that kind of patience!)

Elise said...

FREAKING AWESOME! I bought some stuff to try out this cake baking thing. You have always been the one with the cooking skills. Thanks for the inspiration!

E

kim said...

I am super impressed!

Anonymous said...

Cutest cake ever!! I'm so impressed. That's awesome. I think it's so cute how Carter was so proud of you- that's what I look forward to with a little boy-is that he'll think I'm so neat if I do stuff like that!
I wish I could've let you use this awesome gift bag I have- it's HUGE and it has a huge Elmo on it. I got it at Target on clearance for Evan's b-day (even though Evan had a monkey b-day). I still have it!
Anyway, glad he had a happy birthday! He's so adorable.
Oh, and I did try cake decorating when I made Evan's monkey cake. It was much simpler than yours- mine didn't have the difficult texture stuff- but it was fun- and takes patience! I really didn't know what I was doing! So you'll have to give me advice and tips.

Becky said...

Wow, that's REALLY good!! I'm very impressed. Definitely NOT a Wreck. (And I want to eat it.)

Happy birthday, Aidan! I can't believe it's been a year!

luvmy5boyscora said...

Darling cake! Caleb and Peyton are yelling Elmo in very excited voices and pointing to the computer right now! Good job!