Thursday, September 17, 2009

Frea.king.out.

I've got a million blog posts rolling around in my head, and tons of things I want to catch you all up on, but I can't get past what's going on around here right now, so that's what you get to hear about. John leaves Sunday morning for a 3-week radiology course in Washington, DC. We've known about this for months, and I had originally planned to drive out with the kids and spend the last week with him sightseeing and hanging out. Since we made those plans, we spent all of our money redoing a bathroom. I also realized that it would be pretty tough to only take the kids out of school for a week (which seemed like the longest I'd want them to miss) and drive all the way across the country and back, still leaving enough time to see some stuff in DC. And John's not thrilled with the idea of his wife driving the kids cross-country alone. (Personally, I'm pretty independent when it comes to that stuff, and don't see that as an issue. I could do it! Of course, it would be exhausting......) So we'll do DC with the kids when we have unlimited time and money, or at least more time and money than we have now.

That leaves me here to be a single mom for 3 weeks. I'll be honest with you - I'm freaking out. I feel pretty confident that I can handle things as far as keeping our home running, but when I really start to think about all of the responsibility, I do get a little panicky. However, my main concern is that I don't want to be without my husband. He is my best friend in this world, and the most important time of my day is the time we spend together at night after the kids are in bed. Looking forward to that time is what gets me through my days. Man, I'm getting myself worked up, so I'd better stop thinking about it. I'll just say that I'm going to miss my husband desperately. And when he gets back - after I've spent as much time with him as either of us can stand - I think I'll be ready and deserving of a day at the spa (hint, hint, in case you're reading this, sweetie). Four kids is a lot for one person to handle for that long!

So for the remainder of this week, we're trying to get John packed and ready for the trip, finish up our stupid bathroom, and throw a big birthday party for Carter. (Did I mention that John is on nights this week, so he's gone all night and sleeps most of the day? That gives us a few afternoon and evening hours together, and that includes Saturday night. He'll get home Sunday morning just in time to grab his suitcase and jump in the car for the airport. By the way, could I be more of a crybaby?)

I did sneak a minute to get the little boys' pictures taken this morning. It's a little bit of a distraction from the work I should be doing and the mourning I am doing, just to have some cute new pictures of my babies. The main ones are on the sidebar, but here's one I got just for fun. I'll share and maybe you'll forgive me for spending most of this post feeling sorry for myself.

6 comments:

Lucy said...

You can do it! Did they shorten the course? It used to be 4, I think, because Jay had been gone for at least a week when we went out to visit him, and we were there for almost two (Seth was only in Kindergarten so it wasn't a big deal to miss.) Then, he didn't come home for another week. It's a long time, no matter what. I'd be freaking out too.

I'm sorry you don't get to go and you'll be without your hubby and friend for so long. It really is cruel to be a med school/resident/fellowship wife. Make sure you let other people know how you are doing so people can help you with things and you can get some necessary breaks. Wish I was around to support you!

Melanie said...

You're right, Lucy, it is 4 weeks, but John is taking the last week off (thank goodness!). I feel dumb for being so whiny about it. I know military wives go through a lot worse. Thanks for understanding, though.

Anonymous said...

That is an adorable picture of the boys. Good luck these next few weeks. You really will deserve some serious spa time. I wish I could help you out. We'll be thinking about you and hope it goes by really fast!

adrienne said...

We will sure miss you coming out here. We love vistors! I have a few friends who loose there husbands to Iraq for at least 6 months in the next year! That would be hard. I sure wish we could of seen you. We don't get to Utah much because of cost but would love to see you next trip!
If John has a free night have him give us a call!
Love -Poulsen family

[alisar] said...

Hey Girl. It breaks my heart that we are not going to be able to see you. Waah for no time and double waah for no money. I am grateful that John and Chad will have each other during this training, though. I think it will help them deal with homesickness. I am bummed to be missing Chad, but I would so much rather be the one staying home than the one who has to leave.
Hope you're doing okay!

Elise said...

If I had a money tree... I'd send you some money.
If I had time in a bottle... I'd share some.

You can do it! Hang in there. And could Carter and Aidan be any cuter? I think not!