Friday, February 5, 2010

Dying to write

I really need to get back to blogging. I miss reading others' blogs and leaving comments, and having an outlet for my thoughts, with the possibility of feedback and understanding. I really need that connection right now. I'm stuck in that post-partum period of trying to find a rhythm to life with a new baby, and I'm feeling pretty isolated. One of my goals this year is to take better care of myself, which involves a lot of things, one of which is blogging more. Here's to hoping that I can make it happen. And here are some reasons that I feel guilty taking the time to blog:

  • My kitchen sink is always overflowing and my kitchen floor is in constant need of sweeping and a good scrubbing
  • Someone is almost always crying
  • There is almost always a diaper to be changed or a mouth in need of feeding
  • The last time I cleaned my bathrooms I was still pregnant
  • I'm barely keeping the laundry under control - so far no one's run out of underwear, at least I don't think so...

Obviously I haven't quite figured out this new stage of life yet. It's getting better. But I've got two babies. I call them Big Baby and Little Baby. I love them both to death, but they both require a lot of work. Big Baby is teething, so he wakes up 2 or 3 times a night. He's the busiest toddler I've had yet, and he's too smart, so he spends his day trying to destroy the computer, the Wii, the PS3, or anything else expensive he can get his hands on. Thank goodness for naps! Little Baby eats every few hours and has a lot of gas, so he seems to cry whenever I'm trying to cook dinner or do the dishes. I don't think he cries all that much, but with my time being limited already, I feel like I can't get a thing done. So I've borrowed my sister's Moby wrap and I've taken to carrying him around on my chest in the evenings and trying to accomplish something.

To put an end to my ramblings..........I spend my nights going back and forth between feeding Little Baby and soothing a crying Big Baby. I'm not really sleeping much at all. The days are spent taking Katie to school and picking her up, then picking Tanner up from wrestling or play practice. Twice a week I get to drag the whole gang to Tanner's wrestling meets. Sprinkle in doctor and orthodontist appointments and grocery shopping and other errands, and things are pretty busy.

Wish me luck! I'm hoping I'll get the hang of all of this pretty soon. And hopefully I'll be back to blogging even sooner......

7 comments:

Ginger said...

You are an amazing person! Keep it up! This will all pass before you know it and yes, it will be a blur but you will be a better person for it. And your kids, wow are they lucky to have a mom like you!!

BAK said...

Oh Mel. I can't imagine! I do not know how you do it. Can I come and clean your bathrooms on Thursday? I would love to do it!!!

Stephanie said...

I'm beginning to learn that, although being the mother of young children is a fun, exciting time of life, it's probably one of the toughest! Luckily, there are enough of us moms out there to understand just how tough it can be at times. I don't have half the demands placed on me right now that you do, and I still don't have it together! You are doing an awesome job! You may not feel that way, but you are making sure to do the things that really count-- like being there for Tanner at his wrestling meets and continuing Music Makers for the sake of your younger children. You are a wonderful mom! Your house may suffer for it, but you'll have years as a grandma to keep a perfect home (except for when those sweet little grandkids come along and trash it!) I wish I could help you out a little more! I also hope that Aidan gets through this teething phase quickly so you only have to take care of ONE baby at night! I think your goal to take care of yourself is a great goal. Don't forget about it in the midst of taking care of all those sweet little ones!

Anonymous said...

Raising kids is the hardest thing I've ever done. Just getting used to two is hard for me! So I can't even imagine 5. I think you're doing a great job. I forgot how demanding it is to have a newborn- changing diapers tons, spitting, loud cries, gas, no sleep.... I hope Aidan's teething gets better soon for you! I think Steph's right about the housework-it's frustrating but I guess we have to lower our expectations a little. You're a great mom. Good luck!

Anonymous said...

I had to cut my comment short cuz Eric was crying- but I was going to say I totally know how you feel about not getting anything done. It's so frustrating. The moby wrap is a great idea. Let me know if it's comfortable. I use my snugli when I cook and do laundry. It's not real comfortable but it helps me get a few things done. Good luck!

Lucy said...

I really can't imagine you actually having time to write, but get that you want to. If anyone can manage to do it all, you are that girl. And, for selfish reasons, I'd love to stay in your busy, busy loop:)

Becky said...

I'm so glad we got to see you last week! You look great, and ALL your babies are adorable. And your bathroom looked clean to me!