Monday, January 25, 2010

My Amazing Weekend

Here's why my weekend was so great:

Saturday:
My husband woke up and told me to go have a day to myself, so without a moment's hesitation I took a nice long shower, got myself ready for the day, fed the baby, and took off. I got a pedicure at a day spa, where the atmosphere was peaceful and I was pampered like the spoiled brat that I am. And then I did a little bit of shopping. I ended up trying on jeans, which I had no intention of doing for at least a few months - my new baby is only 4 weeks old, you know. But I was pleasantly surprised when the experience wasn't at all depressing, and I ended up with a cute, comfortable pair of jeans. It's amazing what a new pair of jeans can do for your mood. Putting them on this morning made me smile, and I felt like a more stylish, put-together version of myself when I dragged the kids to Walmart for our weekly grocery shopping.

I was gone for 4 hours, and my hubby would have been fine if I'd stayed gone longer, but that little break from the kids left me feeling incredibly rejuvenated. I came home smiling and laughing, with huge hugs for the kids and my sweetheart, who had managed to clean the house while I was gone! I am so blessed to have a husband who works hard, then comes home and helps out with the house and kids, and gives me time to myself as often as possible. Love you, sweetie!

Sunday:
This year we go to church from 9 to noon. While I love this schedule because of the full day left after church is over, I don't love trying to get the kids dressed and out the door that early. With the birth of our new baby, we actually haven't attempted the entire 3 hours until yesterday, so I was a little nervous. By some miracle, I arrived at church at 8:55 with 5 kids in tow. I didn't lose my temper once, even as I balanced feeding a newborn and trying to control a very naughty 4-year-old and an even naughtier 17-month-old. And then I sat at the piano in primary for 2 hours and the baby slept the entire time! I think John was shocked when we got home and I wasn't crying like I usually am after 3 hours of wrestling the kids at church. I chalk my success up to 3 things: having mostly boys, who require nothing more than a comb through their hair and some gel to look smashingly handsome; a husband who always asks if there's anything he can do to help as I'm running around like a mad woman on Sunday mornings; and a little help from above, because I'm trying to do what I believe is right by dragging my kids to church every week. :)

I hope that your weekend was as wonderful as mine!

4 comments:

Ginger said...

Melanie, I'm so glad you got your pedi. I hope your heels are as smooth as a baby's bum.

Anonymous said...

Wow I bet it was so nice to have some well-deserved time to yourself! What a nice husband to do that for you. I won't even be trying jeans anytime soon- I don't want to have anything tight around my waist right now so I'm comfortable in my maternity jeans still! But I'm sure you look fabulous. And I'm really impressed you've made it through church with everyone. You're amazing.

Kira MV said...

Hi,
first of all - good for you for managing to go to church while having kids, i can imagine it's not so easy :)
and you know, it's so interesting to read how you enjoyed your day to yourself, i can feel how different it is to have free time when you are still not a mother - and afterwards. The perspective on the things you can do shifts immensely. sometimes i catch myself on waiting for the weekend and then don't know what to do :) wish you to have more of those nice days!

[alisar] said...

I think having your figure back this quickly is Heavenly Father's way of rewarding your church-going efforts!