Friday, April 8, 2011

Sometimes I feel like a sad song.....

(Do you know that song by John Denver? LOVE that song!) As usual, I've been dying to post on my blog, but I'm torn. I don't want to be that person you know who always complains about some ailment and never seems to be doing well. So I've settled for being the person who smiles and says she's doing well and doesn't offer any details. Which is better? I think most of the time the latter is best - usually when people ask how you're doing, there's not time to go into detail, and no one wants to hear a negative response. (I can just hear Eeyore's glum voice in my head.) However, yesterday I had an interesting conversation with a friend of mine. She recently suffered a miscarriage, and we were sharing our stories. She said that a lot of people "suffer in silence." I wanted to scream out something, anything. I have felt like that for so long now! I know I've mentioned it here more than once, but I just don't dare talk too much. And when I'm with my close friends, I don't want to talk about it because I feel uplifted by their presence. What's the point in dragging myself back down and taking them with me? The only people I really discuss my depression with are those who have suffered or are suffering themselves and can understand. I do talk to my husband about it, but I think it gets old for both of us. What husband wants to come home every day to hear the same old story of his wife's depression and how black everything is? Besides, when he's home I tend to feel better. I get a reprieve from handling the kids by myself and I don't feel so lonely. Plus, he does his best to make me laugh constantly, and he's good at it! So where am I going with all of this? Today I'm talking about it - my depression. Yes, I'm still seeing a counselor and taking meds and trying to change my thought patterns. And there are days, even a week at a time, when I feel much better. Unfortunately I've been in a real slump this past week, and feeling almost worse than before. (I'm sure going back to the 69-degree weather and sunshine would help!) So instead of suffering in silence, I'm sharing my feelings. One of my favorite songs is Ghost by Indigo Girls. I've turned to this song over and over since I first heard it during my freshman year at the Y. It has meant different things to me at different times. Here are a few of my favorite lines:

There's a letter on the desktop

that I dug out of a drawer -

the last truce we ever came to

in our adolescent war.

And I start to feel a fever

from the warm air through the screen.

You come regular like seasons,

shadowing my dreams.


Well the Mississippi's mighty,

and it starts in Minnesota,

at a place that you can walk across

with five steps down.

And I guess that's how you started,

like a pinprick to my heart,

but at this point you rush right through me

and I start to drown.


And there's not enough room

in this world for my pain.

Signals cross, and love gets lost,

and time passed makes it plain.

................


And I feel it like a sickness,

how this love is killing me.

But I'd walk into the fingers

of your fire willingly,

and dance the edge of sanity,

I've never been this close.


Unknowing captor, you'll never know how much you

pierce my spirit, but I can't touch you.

Can you hear it - a cry to be free?

I'm forever under lock and key,

as you pass through me.


......................


...as I burn up in your presence

and I know now how it feels

to be weakened like Achilles,

with you always at my heels.


And my bitter pill to swallow

is the silence that I keep.

It poisons me, I can't swim free,

the river is too deep.


You are shadowing my dreams.
OK, I feel like I've massacred the song, just including the pertinent lyrics. But I wanted to share with you one of my favorite songs, at the same time giving you a really good idea of what's going on in my head. Seriously, these words are just perfect for how I feel! (I'd include a link so you can listen to it, but I don't know how.) I totally understand the power of music. I've thought more than once that maybe instead of finishing my piano performance degree I should get a degree in music therapy, or some such thing. Music can be so powerful in affecting our moods and making us feel better, or worse. this song is at the top of my cry-my-heart-out-to-it songs. (You know what I'm talking about.) But I can only listen to it when I'm having a good cry, or when I feel great and want to do some top-of-my-lungs car singing. If I'm feeling even a little down, it'll bring me down further. That's when I go to my happy songs. I'll share one of those with you next time.......

7 comments:

Lucy said...

I love you, Melanie, and hope by sharing you felt a reprieve. I am such a sharer and, while I definitely struggle with mood swings, haven't ever suffered from depression so I don't know how open or closed I'd be about it. It must be hard and I'm sorry.

Great lyrics. Powerful. Here's to brighter days.

BAK said...

I'm sorry. I love that you write about your feelings on your blog. It helps me know where you are.

I don't need a brave face from you. I would love to be another shoulder for you. Tell me anything anytime. Hang in there. And pray for some better weather for all of us. :)

Becky said...

I'm so sorry you're having such a hard time. Thank you for sharing your feelings. You're not alone!

Stephanie said...

Oh, Melanie. I read this post earlier today in the midst of a frenzy to get ready for Sophie's birthday party, so I didn't have a chance to comment right away. I have been thinking about you all day, though, and wishing I had something truly comforting to say. I definitely understand, to some extent, what you're going through but you're right--it's not an easy subject to talk about. I do the same thing with music, though! I found myself singing an Indigo Girls song, myself, on Monday when I was feeling pretty down. The song I always sing is "Southland in the Springtime." I know every word by heart and there's something so nostalgic about the music that it tends to console me when I'm down. It's got beautiful lyrics, too, that actually lift my spirits a little.

I don't want to trivialize what you're going through and presume that you haven't tried absolutely everything you can think of to feel better. But I do want to tell you what helps me when I'm really low just in case any of these things can help you, too! Truly, I think that surrounding myself with positive things is very helpful when I'm feeling depressed. I try to be more careful about what movies I watch and what music I listen to and even what books I read--and I don't mean screening them ratings-wise, or anything like that. It seems that the story line or the beautiful model-like actresses sometimes make me think my life is less than it is and that just depresses me more. BBC Classics usually inspire me more than anything because the plots usually revolve around character and the scenes are full of beautiful landscapes. It sounds crazy, but those movies cheer me up!

It can also be super helpful to read something lovely because it pulls me out of my own troubles to read a great book. I highly recommend "Laddie" if you've never read it! Or "Betsy and the Great World." Treat yourself to some great literature--even if it means neglecting the housework slightly and see if it will lift your spirits a bit. Housework doesn't go anywhere, after all...

I definitely hope that the sunshine finds you and when it does, soak it up!!! Pretty soon you'll be happily working in your garden and enjoying the lovely Spring blossoms. I'll be keeping you in my prayers, Melanie! I love you! I hope things look up for you this weekend and in the coming week. <3 (that's supposed to be a heart!)

Elise said...

Love you Mel! I've always admired your honesty and ability to express your feelings. Hang in there girl!

Anonymous said...

I also suffer from Depression and may even be BiPolar. When I share with people about my depression, they are always so surprised, as I seem to be "so happy and together" all the time. It is exhausting having to fake it all the time so instead I try to straddle the line when I'm struggling. If people want to hear about it, and have the time to chat, they'll ask a follow up question when I respond to how are you with a vague and not so positive response.

I also can totally relate to not wanting to bring your friends down when you are with them. You are finally with spending time with adults, and talking to adults, who wants to bring the group down, especially when most of them can't relate because they've never been depressed.

I applaud your willingness to share a difficult subject.

Anonymous said...

Sorry I didn't see your blog post sooner. It's interesting that Steph talked about "Southland"-I listen to that one a lot.
Music is SOOOOO helpful to my moods. I've been listening to Carpenters a lot- in fact, I read a great book this month- the Karen Carpenter story- you should read it. She had an interesting sad life. I found myself not putting the book down, not sure why. Just fascinated I guess about how famous people really have hard lives (most of them). Anyway, if you ever get a chance to play the piano do it. I know it's hard to sit down and do it cuz a kid screams or something but even a song here or there really helps me so much. Even better, get some new music- I always get sick of my old stuff and get excited to play new music. I also love just having music on while I cook or do dishes. I find cds or piano books at the library.
Love you lots! Cassie
Iknow fresh air and spring will help both of us. I swear I'm like a plant- without sunlight I die!