Monday, April 18, 2011

Washing the clothes is fun to do...

...fun to do, to do, to do. Drying the clothes is fun to do, to do, to do, to do. At least now that I've added these babies to my appliance collection! Meet my new washer:

and my new dryer:We've had the same washer and dryer since we got married, when my mother-in-law was sweet enough to buy us a brand new pair. For years now, John's been suggesting that we get new machines, and I've turned him down because ours have had zero problems. Zero! (I found out how amazing this is when we started researching online and reading horror stories of breakdowns and repair bills.) Then my mom and sister surprised me with a laundry room makeover for my birthday. They commented that my washer is one of the smallest they've seen, and no wonder I'm always behind on laundry! So we began our search for new machines. John read every review of every washer and dryer in the U.S. and combed KSL and Craig's List nightly for a few weeks. Finally we headed to Home Depot to look for ourselves. We decided what we like, and what capacity and features we needed. We were lucky enough to find both machines on KSL from two different stores. The washer is used, but I can't even tell, and the dryer is brand new. And the good news is that we spent the same amount for both that we would have for just one at the store. Hurray!


I've never minded laundry. In fact, once Katelyn was born, I thought it was fun to fold her cute little clothes into little pink piles. Now my piles are mostly black and blue, but I still don't mind the washing and folding. (Especially since folding laundry is a great excuse to sit down for a second and watch Dancing With the Stars!) What I can't stand is putting it all away. Seriously, I've got piles for seven people, plus all the associated towels, sheets, blankets, etc. It drives me crazy!


But before I get to that awful putting-away step of the process, I now get to load up the washer with 3 times what I could fit into the old one, put the detergent in the cool little drawer on the front, watch it figure the load size and marvel at how much laundry constitutes only 3 of 4 bars, try to guess exactly how many minutes the machine will tell me the cycle will take, and then listen to the cute little song the washer chimes at me when it's done. Then I get to load the dryer up and decide which of my settings to use and wait for its cute little song. Fun fun!

Oh, there's the chime now..........time to switch loads!




6 comments:

Becky said...

Thanks for doing the research for me! My 9-yr-old washer and dryer are still fine, but someday when we buy new ones, I'll be coming to you for brand, model, price, etc. You guys are such great bargain hunters!

Stephanie said...

I am SO happy for you!!! That's so funny--I was just thinking today (Monday is one of my laundry days) how I really don't mind the washing and folding part, but can't stand getting everything all put away! I'm trying to train my slaves--I mean children--to help more, but you know how that goes... they do it (after whining, complaining, and/or throwing tantrums), but it takes ten times longer! I hope you've had an all right Monday, Mel. I've been thinking about you all day. I love you!

amy morgan said...

:) I'm so happy to know that I'm not the only one who stands in anticipation - waiting to see how many bars will appear!!
It also brings me great comfort to know that I'm not the only one who dreads the "putting away". Mainly because I know that immediately after it's all put away, the basket will be full again. The NEVER ENDING, BOTTOMLESS basket. sigh ;)
Congrats on your new additions!

Jaime Leigh said...

Maybe I should sing your little song and see if that makes laundry more fun for me....I don't mind the washing it's the putting away that gets me...mostly the whites....UGH =)

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you like your new machines. Oh the joys of laundry, but I bet it feels good to stuff more in to each load! Cassie

Elise said...

Funny how something new and shiny gives you all kinds of motivation... I'm hoping that someday a new house will make me want to sweep the floors ;)