Wednesday, April 23, 2008

You make me happy, when skies are gray

One of the best things I've done for myself since we moved into our home was to plant bulbs in the fall. I think I've already mentioned that I spent hours in the front yard in the dark, hunched over digging holes for the 90+ bulbs that I planted. I was sore for two days, and had no skin left on my hands, but it was totally worth it. Watching my bulbs come up has been exciting and uplifting. Let me take you through my journey this spring:

Across the front of our house, I planted daffodils, tulips, hyacinths, pansies, and grape hyachinths. We have ugly red mulch covering the flowerbed, but I can't really afford to change that and I'm not sure what I would do if I did, so I just planted them in the midst of it and I'm glad I did. I'm sure I'll figure out how to make the flowerbeds my own in the next few years, but at least I have something started now.




Now that it's all come up, I like the design my sister helped me come up with, to alternate the flowers in a long row. But looking at everyone else's bulbs, I'm excited for mine to grow more full in the coming years.

I also planted a ring of bulbs around the lamp post out front. I alternated tulips and daffodils, and put crocuses around the outside.


I have gotten so much joy out of watching my little babies peek their heads up and then grow taller and bloom. Even on the days when it's cold and overcast, I have this beautiful spray of color across the front of my house. It makes me smile. Every time I step out of my house, here's what I see:

For a while, the daffodils were the tallest and the brightest, but the tulips have bloomed just in time for the daffodils to start to fade a little. (Notice the little landscaping lights that John installed along the front earlier this spring. It looks really cool at dusk!) I'm sure someday I'll look back on this little attempt of mine and think that I had no idea what I was doing, but for right now, I'm perfectly satisfied. I only wish all of you could come stand here and look with me.

2 comments:

Amy Sorensen said...

Your flowers are so pretty, and I totally get what you mean...they really do add something special to your day!

luvmy5boyscora said...

Yeah for your pretty flowers! Doesn't it just make you happy to look at them and know you did that?!