Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Walking Regal




If you know me, you know that I'm obsessed with my daily walk. Most mornings we eat breakfast and then I put the kids--still in pajamas--in the stroller and head out the door. Over the past year, the walk has evolved into a 1 hour and 20 minute journey. The kids have gotten used to it, which is good because some days they do it again when John runs, although that takes half the time. (Of course, there are days when they're little monsters!)


I have a hard time explaining why the walk is so special to me, but I'm going to try. First of all, the surroundings are incredibly beautiful. We pass rolling prairie, farms, forests, and gorgeous homes. We encounter all kinds of wildlife--we've seen deer by the dozen, horses and cows, chipmunks, squirrels, raccoons, foxes, skunks, and even porcupines! The walk gives me 80 minutes to work out all of my problems and focus on how thankful I am for the beautiful world we've been given. It reminds me to be grateful for everything I have, especially my husband and children, and taking some time for myself makes me a better wife and mother.


Forgive me for being a little sappy today. The past few times I've walked, I've fought back tears the entire time. I'm really going to miss living up here on South Hill, on the edge of the Palouse. Here are some pictures so that you can share the experience with me.

1 comments:

[alisar] said...

Man oh man. I loved the months we spent trudging the Regal hills. I wish I'd been able to hold out through my pregnancy - I know my thick thighs and backside wish that too :) You are amazingly dedicated and I know you'll find somewhere nice to walk in SLC. Maybe if our dreams come true and we move back here, we can continue a wonderful tradition.