Monday, October 22, 2007

This is how I want my life to be

It's 9 pm. My house is clean, my children are asleep (thanks entirely to my awesome husband!), and I've got laundry going, not because I'm behind, but because I'm trying to stay ahead. John even has a closet full of ironed shirts to choose from. I worked out on the elliptical machine this morning, read to the kids, spent the day doing little activities with them, walked to the park (with Lucy - yeah!), did the grocery shopping, and made a yummy dinner. I wish every day could be like this, but for me, that's a pretty lofty goal.

I know that we all feel the same pressure that has been weighing on me so much lately - to be the perfect wife and mother, a "mother who knows" and can distinguish between "good, better, and best." My biggest concern right now is that I'm letting my children down, that I'm not nurturing enough. I am trying to figure out how to be the best possible mother to them. I'll get into this more later, but it explains why I have gone almost a month without posting to my blog. I'm trying to find the perfect balance in my life between taking care of my family and doing things for myself.

Now with that said, I have some things to catch up on. Happy reading!

7 comments:

Becky said...

Wow, I totally relate to this post. I need to try to have more days like you described in the first paragraph! That's the best, most peaceful feeling in the world.

Here's my below average version from yesterday: I let the kids play in the snow one more time before it melted. I set them up with their watercolor paints at the kitchen table. They rode their bike and tricycle to the neighborhood mailboxes with me. And dinner? It was yummy, but it was frozen, ready-to-bake enchiladas from the grocery store! And here's my mediocre version of getting the laundry done: When Jeromy's alarm went off this morning, I half woke up and said, "There's clean underwear in the dryer." I should have at least gone down to the basement to get some for him!

You're doing awesome! Just the fact that you want to work at being a great mom shows that you really are, even when you're not perfect!

BAK said...

You are doing great, in my opinion. But I was very excited all the same to see you'd updated your blog! This was a great post.

Lucy said...

That is the perfect day. Especially the walk to the park part:)

It was really fun hanging out with you and I'm glad I was part of a good day for you too.

Elise said...

OH... Mel Bel : ) You are AWESOME. I hope you remember that! I think we are all on the "journey to perfection" together. I don't know a single mom who thinks she is "perfect". If I did, I am sure there would be some type of mental issue attatched: ) But I do know lots of mom who are sincerely trying their best (you included). Don't get to down on yourself. I think our kiddo's (and husbands) just mosly need our love : ) I know you are GREAT at doing that!!!

[alisar] said...

I beg to differ with Elise. I think I'm perfect. A perfect mess from sunup to sundown :) I do love it when the stars align to form one of those peaceful, perfect days. Cherish those moments!

Stephanie said...

I know you have definitely inspired me lately to spend more time in pursuit of my children's well-being, happiness, and education. You are a wonderful example to me of someone who is constantly striving for improvement and I think you're a long way ahead of me! I love you, Mel, and want you to know how much you have (and continue to) influenced my life. Now, will you please send one of those perfect days my way???!!!

Becky said...

I love your new look!