Saturday, April 10, 2010

Happy Birthday, Rose!

My sister-in-law just got married and is having a reception next week. Well, for some crazy reason she asked me if I'd make a cake for her. She showed me a few pictures of what she has in mind, and I told her I hope she doesn't regret trusting me with such a big responsibility, especially since I've never made a wedding cake before. I knew I'd need to practice, and I had the perfect opportunity when we decided to throw my mother-in-law a birthday party. For the practice cake, I simply used my 2 9-inch round pans and layered them, then frosted them with buttercream and covered them in fondant. Here's what I came up with:




I have to thank my mom for bringing me the ingredients and being my moral support as I kneaded powdered sugar into melted marshmallows for what seemed like hours. She was also great help when Aidan decided to dump a bag of powdered sugar on the floor behind me while I worked on the fondant. I learned a lot in the practice round, so hopefully the wedding cake will look a little more professional. It will be 3 layers, so it will be quite a bit more involved. I know what I'll be doing next Friday and Saturday!

And for those of you who don't have mischievous 20-month-olds running around your house, here's what happens to your beautiful cake while you're throwing in a load of laundry (luckily this didn't happen until after the party when there were only a few pieces left):

But could you get mad at this face?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well I think I know who the next cake boss is! That's beautiful! I think it's awesome that you have such a talent at cake decorating. You'll have to give me some tips. I like making fun b-day cakes but they don't look professional like yours. I made Evan a cake with cars on top but it looked pretty cheezy! OH well, I had fun. Anyway, can't wait to see the wedding cake- good luck!

Stephanie said...

That cake turned out GORGEOUS!!!! And I am SO glad that Aidan didn't get to the cake until AFTER the party... whew! Good luck with the wedding cake. I'm sure it will be equally stunning and delicious... but give yourself a break on Sunday, for sure! You'll have earned it.

Ginger said...

Goooood job! I love the picture of the binky next to the cake. Classic!

Lucy said...

The cake is awesome. I'm super impressed. Even more impressed that you kept your cool after its destruction. That Aiden sure is cute!

Tonia Lee Smith said...

Wow, I'm really impressed. Too bad it had to be eaten. It's that pretty.