Saturday, April 17, 2010

For Shauna

What do you get when you combine:

  • 8 cake mixes
  • 3 cups of oil
  • 2 dozen eggs
  • 3 cups of butter
  • 5 pound of marshmallows
  • 20 pounds of powdered sugar
  • a little bit of milk
  • a few teaspoons of vanilla
  • some food coloring
  • ribbon
  • and a pretty bow?

First you get this:

Then this:

And finally this:


Here's the cake at Shauna's reception:

And here's Shauna with her mom, my sweet mother-in-law Rose:

Congratulations, Shauna! You're an awesome sister-in-law!



* This was my first wedding cake, and will be my last unless one of my kids wants me to make them one someday. I baked all day yesterday, and started the frosting/decorating at 9:30 this morning. I had to pause a few times to feed a starving baby, but other than those breaks I worked straight through until 5:30, when we left for the reception. Wow, I can't believe it's over!!


8 comments:

BAK said...

How appropriate that your name is the Domestic Goddess. You are amazing! That cake is beautiful. :)

kim said...

The cake is gorgeous, you're so talented.

jeanneminert said...

That is one amazing cake! I am soooooooo proud of you!

Love, Mom

Anonymous said...

Wow good job, Melanie! Are you sure that is your last wedding cake? Maybe you should go in business. Seriously, so beautiful.

Ginger

Becky said...

Seriously, Melanie, is there ANYTHING you can't do? Amazing! I'm also amazed by the 20 lbs of powdered sugar. More so than any of the other ingredients.

Stephanie said...

I'm speechless. Utterly speechless. It really did turn out beautifully. Does Shauna have ANY idea how much work it was???? (I hope not, because she would probably feel bad for asking you to do it!) I hope you had a nice, long, relaxing Sunday--with your feet up as much as possible! You are amazing, Mel.

Elise said...

Holy freaking cow! Nice work domestic goddess... I'm officially removing the "in training" part of your title... anyone to second?

marnae said...

Looks great Melanie..don't you love that marshmallow fondant? I used it on Ella's birthday cake last year, but I don't think I'm ready to tackle a wedding cake! great job! One question..how did you support the cake? It had to be heavy, especially with all that fondant...