Sunday, May 9, 2010

To My Family on Mothers Day

I love what Elise wrote about Mothers Day. It can be such a difficult day, for a lot of women, I'm sure, and for many different reasons. I'm so glad she posted the video about Nie Nie, because it made such an impression on my heart. (If you don't know what I'm talking about, you've got to go to one of these links and watch it!) As women, we get so wrapped up in looking beautiful, and in keeping a lovely home - in things that are so superficial. As moms, we have a wonderful opportunity to lose ourselves in the service of these precious little souls who've been sent to us to raise. I've been dealing with a pretty bad case of postpartum depression for the last 3 months, and I've struggled just to get through the day. I know that there are people who have far greater struggles than mine, and it helps me to be reminded of that fact. So instead of focusing on myself this year, I want to dedicate this Mothers Day to my family:

To Zach: I get to spend every few hours snuggling you when I feed you. You depend on me for your survival, and I am so in love with you that it borders on obsession. What a happy little baby you are, and everyone in the family loves you to death.

To Aidan: You are the cutest thing in our house right now, and also the most difficult. Your dad and I are amazed at your awesome, fun personality, and you bring us unbelievable joy, even though I spend your every waking moment cleaning up after you and trying to keep you out of trouble.

To Carter: You've hit a really defiant stage, and you test my patience more than anyone. But you're so smart and talented and focused. I know you're going to do something big and important someday, and I love you for being you.

To Katelyn: You are adorable, so smart, and so sweet. We butt heads because you're just like me, but you know how to melt my heart. You love to tell me that I look pretty, or that you love something I've made or done. And you're the best little helper a six-year-old could be.

To Tanner: I know that I'm not your mother, and I will never be able to replace her, but I love you like you're my own son. You're at a difficult age, dealing with difficult issues, and I'm so impressed that you always do what I ask of you. That's got to be rare for a 13-year-old, and I love it!

To My Husband: I wouldn't have my beautiful children if I didn't have you. And I couldn't be the mom that I am without you by my side. You give me the push I need to keep going, even when it seems too hard. Your love and support mean the world to me, and the kind of dad you are to our kids makes me want to be a better mom. I love you.

I feel so blessed to have my wonderful husband and children, and I hope I can hold onto this feeling and drink in the experience of being a mom with small kids. And I hope that all of you mommies out there had a great Mothers Day filled with peace and love.

6 comments:

Amy Sorensen said...

Melanie, I'm sorry you're struggling with post-partum. HUGS to you. This is a beautiful post!

[alisar] said...

I can always count on you for honesty and poignancy. I love you dearly!

Stephanie said...

What a sweet post! You are a wonderful, amazing mother, Melanie. That doesn't mean that it's not challenging, though! I have really admired your tenacity these past difficult months. You have been SO determined to keep going even when you are struggling. Your children are so lucky to have you, and I mean that! Happy Mother's Day!

Becky said...

That's so sweet. I got teary-eyed when I read the part about Tanner.

nathansara said...

i love this post. you are so sweet and a very good wife and mother. hope all is well. miss you.

joven said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.