Wednesday, August 4, 2010

So long, farewell, auf wiedersehen, goodbye...

Three years ago my youngest sister Cassie moved halfway across the country so that her husband could go to law school. It was so hard to say goodbye. Luckily I was able to fly out to visit her once, and she has been back to visit a couple times a year. Her visits are sooo fun, especially since she's had two children while living away, and it's so neat to spend time with them and see our kids together. We also talk on the phone quite frequently, and I love that.

Monday night I had to say goodbye to another sister, also headed across the country so that her husband can attend law school. My sisters are definitely among my closest friends, and Stephanie is no exception. With Cassie far away, and our other sister working, Steph and I have taken full advantage of having each other close. We've dragged kids (more each year) shopping for kids' clothes in Park City and all over Salt Lake. We've tried to keep the kids occupied for countless hours of sewing, or shopping for fabric. We've shared our passion for gardening and plants and flowers. We've shared our parenting trials and offered each other understanding and empathy. I've been mourning my sister's leaving for months now, and I won't ever forget driving away, watching her wave goodbye.

I woke up this morning to the new reality of being alone. There's no possibility of a visit or a quick trip together to the fabric store. Our kids won't be playing together for a long time. I'm so excited for Steph and the adventure she has ahead of her. And I know we'll talk all the time and remain close, just like Cassie and I have. I just wish she were still here.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh what a sweet post. It definitely changes things to be far away but the visits are SUPER fun since they are extra special. I still have great memories of seeing you in Spokane and you coming here. And now we have a fun excuse to run down to FL!

BAK said...

I'm sorry Steph has left...I know how hard it would be if one of my sisters moved away. Hopefully she can visit sometimes!

Lucy said...

Oh...my heart feels pangs of sister distance! I'm sorry you're losing a loved one to distance. Stinky.

Ginger said...

I wish I had a sister. Nevertheless, wipe wallets? ;)

Becky said...

You're so lucky to have sisters! I'm so sorry she moved away. I don't have a sister, but I do know what it's like to have a best friend move away!

Stephanie said...

It's no fair! I've been doing so well keeping it together and your post makes me want to sit down and bawl!!! I already miss you like crazy and know that I better get a really good phone service that includes unlimited long distance. You're a wonderful friend, Mel, and we'll just have to trust that the distance will only bring us closer! I love you!

Elise said...

It's like ripping limbs off, huh? Just got back from a visit with all of my sisters, and I'm in a bit of mourning myself. I'm just glad we live in a world full of airplanes, blogs, facebook, cell phones and iChat... or it would be MUCH harder!