Thursday, September 30, 2010

I just couldn't resist....

Katelyn has fallen in love with writing stories and illustrating them. (I think they talk about "illustrations" a lot at school.) Here is one of her stories. I found it this morning on the table. I'm not sure where she gets her knowledge of eagles. I'll have to ask her when she gets home from school.
This next one requires a little explanation. For Carter's birthday a week ago, John got him a bearded dragon:
His name is Dragon - creative, huh? He is Carter's best pal (besides Katie, of course). Dragon hangs out with us while Carter plays with his Legos, plays video games, draws, etc. However, because Carer is only 5, we've had a few incidents with Dragon. Sometimes when I tell Carter to put Dragon back in his cage downstairs he forgets. Not seeing Dragon attached to Carter's shirt like he usually is, I assume Carter has obeyed me. We have always been able to find the lizard after one of these mishaps, until last night. I was out doing my visiting teaching (yeah me!) when I got a text that Dragon was missing. I returned home two hours later and he still hadn't been found. John had been combing the house, the yard, the garden, but no Dragon. I went out with a flashlight and looked for a while, then searched the house myself. When I finally gave up, I honestly felt like crying (take note of the end of Katie's next story). I never in my life dreamed I would be that sad, if sad at all, over a lost lizard. But that guy is Carter's best buddy, and in the short time that we've had him, he's really become part of the family. Here's Katie's take on the situation:

The kids were up at 5:30 this morning, and I listened to them bemoan their lost friend, promising to look outside again when it got light. Luckily, before we started the search again we noticed Dragon on the hearth in the living room. He was behind a little stuffed pumpkin, and probably had been all night. I don't know how we missed him, or how the cats missed him. I'm just so relieved! And I'm happy to have Carter's pal back. :)

3 comments:

Kristen said...

My nephew has one of those and they named him BOB. Not much more creative. I am so afraid of him and I think he can sense fear because whenever I enter the room, he follows me around with a taunting look in his eye. Eeeew. I am creeped out just thinking about him. You are a brave momma for letting your kids have dragons for pets!

Stephanie said...

I'm SO glad you found Dragon!!! That would have been a hard loss to bear, indeed. I LOVE Katelyn's illustrated stories. You've got to save those in a special place for her to read when she's older. Sophie has started making her own "books" and has so much fun with it. When I was in 1st grade, my teacher had a ton of wallpaper samples that we used as covers for our homemade books. I would love to do the same thing for Sophie--do you think it's still possible to find wallpaper these days? Well, give that little Dragon a welcome back hug for me!

amy morgan said...

HORRAY! I can blog-stalk you now ;) Your kids are so darling - LOVE the stories, and so glad you found the buddy!! (and the fact that you allow a pet dragon in your house, not to mention the snakes and cats, makes you the mother of the year in my book!)