Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Hello....again. Hello.


(Can you hear Neil Diamond singing that phrase? And the whole rest of the song? Keep it playing in your mind....)

Three years ago I wrote this post about clawing my way back up after a particularly difficult winter. I'm feeling much now like I did then - like I'm starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel. Like maybe I can start to handle my life again. Except this time I've been hiding away, buried in the depths, for a year or maybe 13 months. I had Zach a little over 13 months ago, and I could tell within a few weeks of having him that I was not coming out of the normal baby blues and hormonal chaos of having a baby in a reasonable amount of time.

Things changed drastically when Zach was born. There's the whole going from 4 kids to 5 thing, and having two boys only 16 months apart. I went from very little sleep (the 16-month-old has never really slept through the night) to almost no sleep at all. And I became somewhat of a hermit. I quit doing my preschool music group, which was a good decision because I could not have handled it! And I stopped going to story time at the library, or the library at all for that matter. I did take one trip with the kids to the library shortly after Zach was born. I had the baby in the Moby wrap, and Aidan decided to flip out. It was a terrible experience, and I haven't entered a library with my children since. Before Zach, I felt like I ran from one place to the next constantly. We always had something to do and somewhere to be. After Zach, everything seemed too difficult. I planned to start going to my friends' preschool music classes and enjoy someone else doing all of the planning and organizing while I simply attended to my kids. Yet I haven't made it to a single one. Turns out there's no "simply attending to" energetic boys ages 1, 2, and 5. I've stopped almost completely doing the things that I enjoy. I rarely, if ever, play the piano. I don't sew nearly as often as I'd like. I don't read at all. And obviously, I haven't been blogging.

There have been times I've just wanted to scream out loud, "Please help me! I can't handle this!" But most of the time I prefer to remain silent, to smile and say I'm well when people ask me at church. I know I've mentioned a couple times on my blog that I'm struggling, but it really seems whiny. After all, what can anyone else do for me anyway? I don't even know what to do for myself!

I've tried a couple of medications and I think I've finally found one that's working for me. I also added counseling a few months ago, which is probably the most helpful thing. And I finally feel like I'm turning a corner. Things that seemed nearly impossible to me a few months ago (like keeping my kitchen clean for longer than 5 minutes) seem much more do-able now. I even read an entire book in January, and I'm working on finishing another.

So I'm slowly working my way back into life. I started a baby blanket today - one of my favorite activities! And here I am.......blogging! Wow, I've missed this. Of course, don't expect too much too soon. I still have catastrophes like this to deal with every ten minutes or so, so I'll be kind of busy for a while:

Zach is quite proud of himself for climbing into the toilet. I'm hoping taking pictures and laughing my head off won't reinforce the behavior!

7 comments:

BAK said...

I am glad you can see the light in the tunnel. Bring your kids over and hang out with me!! Hang in there. That is great that you have found something to help you.

You know, if you ever need a Cafe Rio run, I'm always good for that! :) Hugs, friend.

Ginger said...

Yeah! I'm so glad you posted the picture it is a classic for sure. Why was he so happy I would cry if I was sitting in a toilet. That was way too funny.

Amy Sorensen said...

I've thought about you lots and wondered why you weren't blogging. I wish I could offer more than postive thoughts & internet hugs! If I lived closer I'd take your kids for the afternoon so you could take a nap. Or sew. or whatever. Hang in there...

Lucy said...

It's so hard to know that you are going through this. I wish I could come over so that even if you didn't feel like going out, you wouldn't feel so closed in. I think you are so brave. Keep hanging in there. Eventually, you will be back to your glorious self and hitting the town in all of your fabulous shoes again.

Stephanie said...

First, I have to comment on the picture. Holy cow!!! That is the worst and funniest thing I have ever seen. And it's heartbreaking that I hardly even recognize Zach! He is a totally different baby than he was half a year ago. He is SUCH a cutie! But, oh man, what a resourceful kid. I don't know how you do it, Mel!

I'm so glad you shared some of your thoughts. I know I haven't struggled with postpartum depression, but I've still faced so many of the same issues since having Eli. I definitely no longer engage in the activities I once found so much joy in. I'm so glad you're seeing a small light at the end of the tunnel. I know that doesn't mean that your struggles are over. But, when things seem so hard and discouraging, ANY light is welcome! I wish you more and more of those encouraging "I'm going to make it! I'm starting to feel more like myself!" moments. And I hope Spring finds its way to Utah early this year! Just think, beautiful spring bulbs, warm sunshine...

You'll make it!!!!!!

Elise said...

Hugs to you MEL! Hang in there girl. I'm glad your feeling a little better : D Slow and steady...

Anonymous said...

And I thought I had bathroom issues with baby eric! He loves the bathroom and has thrown toys in the toilet.... zach is too cute! I feel so many of the same feelings. I have been a hermit since winter hit and haven't done a lot of me things and have been overwhelmed. I still think you handle things very well. Thanks for all the phone calls. It really helps to have you to talk to. I know spring will help us both.