Sunday, May 10, 2009

Happy Mother's Day


I want to wish my mom and my mom-in-law a happy Mother's Day. I am so blessed to have such wonderful and giving women in my life. Thanks to them, I haven't gone crazy since my 2 children suddenly turned into 4. And thanks to both of them, I've been able to go on 2 trips in the last month. I spent a week with my sister, Cassie, and my sweet baby Aidan in Iowa seeing sites and shopping. The next weekend I lived it up with my hubby in New York City. I had a great time traveling the country, and felt rejuvenated and excited about motherhood again after getting back. So thanks, moms. I love you and appreciate you so much!


Now, about today...........since I first became a mother, I've struggled with my feelings about Mother's Day (see last year's post). There have been years when I've been selfish, focusing on how things should have gone and didn't. There have been years of sadness because I've thought only of my failures as a mother. And more recently, as I'm maturing (hopefully), I've tried to make it more about the mothers in my life than about myself. But this morning I realized that this day will be different for our family for the rest of our lives. Today my focus was on helping my heartbroken (step)son deal with the pain of losing a mother. We had talks about remembering the good things, hugged him through the tears, and started a new tradition to honor his mother. Although he can't see it, each year will get a tiny bit easier. But Mother's Day has taken on a new meaning, and now we join the others who are reminded of losses on this day - who struggle to see the good through the sorrow.


I hope that all of you had a wonderful day. All of my friends are incredible mothers, and I look up to each of you for different reasons. You are incredible women, and your children are lucky to have you.


As the day draws to a close, I'm inspired to be a better mom to my children, especially to the one who needs me more than he'll ever let on.

4 comments:

BAK said...

What a nice post. I am so glad for Tanner that he has you. He is such a great kid, and I didn't even think how yesterday would affect him, but of course it would. If I know you, you did it great.

Sorry I missed you. Hope you had a great Mother's Day!!

Lucy said...

I'm sure your hands are more than full but it's nice to hear from you. I'm so glad that you are settling into mother four, and I know you are giving them all the love they need and deserve. Happy Mother's day!

Elise said...

Mel. You are truly an example to all. I hope that as you help T throughout his life, you will be blessed to know just how wonderful you are! Loves, E

Tanya said...

That is such a sweet post. You are such a great person, I'm sorry I didn't get to know you better at choir. You're too busy being wonder woman. Especially with the disappearing act. :)