Sunday, July 13, 2008

Her Imaginary Friend

It's been a couple of months since Katelyn first mentioned Helma. I knew right away that she had invented this friend, because we were in the car and she said that Helma was sitting next to her. She didn't appreciate my questions at first, but I've gradually been able to get more information. Here's what I've learned:

  • Helma is usually a boy, although today I was informed that Helma changes from a boy to a girl.
  • Helma is anywhere from age 2 to age 4, depending on the day.
  • Helma is from a different world.
  • Helma can do magic.
  • Helma dances funny.
  • Helma is silly, and he thinks that Katelyn is silly.
  • Sometimes Helma doesn't want to play.

Carter has gotten to know Helma, too. Sometimes I'll overhear him ask Katelyn about Helma, or I'll hear them talking about Helma and laughing. Helma has even been blamed for naughty things that have been done by other little people in our house.

I always thought it was cute when little kids had imaginary friends, but I wasn't sure if it would be disturbing as a parent, like some sign that there's something wrong. But I'm not worried at all that Katelyn actually believes in Helma's existence (although Carter might). And I think it's a fun way to gain insight into Katelyn's moods and thoughts. So for now, I think we'll keep Helma around.

1 comments:

BAK said...

That is so cute! I had no idea that Katie had an imaginary friend. You'll have to keep us posted on what "Helma" does around the house. What a smart girl!