Monday, July 7, 2008

Taking pleasure in the little things

I've been feeling overwhelmed lately with my role as a mother, especially in light of the changes our family is going through. Today has been a good one, taking Tanner to his orthodontist appointment (a first for me), and doing our weekly grocery shopping. But I still found myself needing some buoying up, so I watched Elder Ballard's conference talk while Carter napped and Katelyn had quiet time. As the talk ended, I resolved to do my best to enjoy the little moments of motherhood, to "treasure the doing a little more and the getting it done a little less."


I know how blessed I am to have the opportunity of being a mother to these sweet spirits, and Katelyn gave me the perfect evidence. I walked out of my bedroom to find that she had emptied the basket of clean laundry that had been sitting in the living room and was folding the towels. She can be such a little angel! I hope I can keep this peaceful feeling of love for my children throughout the afternoon. I know I'll especially need it once Carter gets up from his nap!

4 comments:

Becky said...

What a sweetheart! I love her ghost comment, too! I need to hear some of those conference talks again.

Ginger said...

Wow, you sure are a lucky mom. My kids do the opposite, they dump my folded laundry. She seriously is so sweet. I am glad things are going well with Tanner.

We need to hang out. We will be leaving out of town this Thursday so maybe tomorrow or Wednesday or next week.

Stephanie said...

That's AWESOME that Katelyn folds laundry of her own accord! If I'm lucky, I can trick Sophie into helping me! Man, I need to get back into blogging. I enjoyed your seventh anniversary post. I'm so glad you guys are so happily married! Congrats!!!

Ginger said...

Oh my gosh, Melanie, somehow I completely missed your anniversary post. Congrats! That is awesome for you guys and you really are a great couple. And you are right, you make some of the cutest little kids.