Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Plain and Simple

So you've probably noticed another long period of blog silence from me. And you may be a little nervous about how I'll break my silence, given my history. You see, I tend to shut down when I hit a rough patch, then come back and vomit my troubles out when I feel I'm starting to work through them.

Well, that's certainly the case here. In four weeks, I will go from being a mother of two with a stepson we see every other weekend, to a mother of four, including a newborn and a junior high student. Not only will my stepson be tackling the demons of adolescence in junior high, but he'll be doing this while grieving the loss of his mother and adapting to full-time life in our home. I am in over my head here, folks.

Here's the thing. I have always wanted a lot of kids. And ever since John and I got married, we've talked about how great it would be to have custody of Tanner. These changes are not unwanted. They're just coming at me a little faster than I expected. And I'm scared. It actually makes me feel better just to say that. I'm scared that I don't have what it takes to give all of these people what they need from me. Now having said that, there's a part of me that's excited to prove that I can handle this. I can be a good mom who makes wise decisions that help to guide her children successfully through life's struggles. That's the attitude I'm taking into this battle with me starting four weeks from yesterday, which is coincidentally the day Tanner starts school and I'm scheduled to be induced.

I probably wouldn't be so thrown by all of this if I hadn't been struggling inside of myself already. For the last four years, I've ridden the roller coaster that is being a stay-at-home mom. I'm in love with the job, yet I can't seem to find the sense of fulfillment I so desire. I catch glimpses of it now and then, but I struggle to hold onto it. Well, this week I caught another glimpse, and I really want to capture my feelings before they get lost again.

This month my neighborhood book club is reading Plain and Simple, by Sue Bender. It's the true story of a woman who is so fascinated with the Amish that she spends some time living with Amish families. In doing so, she learns some principles that she takes with her and incorporates into her life, helping to answer some questions she's always had about herself. Here are a few of those principles and how they apply to my life:

  • Value the process and the product. I can see the importance of having clean laundry, a clean house, a meal on the table, but I often resent the work. If I can find joy in the little things that I do all day, I will be infinitely happier.
  • Live in time. Rather than rushing through tasks to get them done and move on to the next thing, experience each moment. This is so important as a mother, because I often miss the special moments with my kids in my rush. The days when I pay attention to all the little things that happen as we go are the days when I feel good about life and my role as a mother.
  • Celebrate the ordinary. Even the little things like the laundry and dishes are important. I can feel a sense of accomplishment at the end of the day, even if the only things I've done are these ordinary things.
  • Home is the focus of life. It's o.k. that this is where I spend the bulk of my time. Making it a place where my family and I feel good is important.
  • Life is art. The beauty of the creation, not the ego of the creator, is important. This may sound a little abstract, but go with me for a second. I have struggled with letting go of my quest to become an accomplished artist - in music and in sewing. I can't put real time and focus into these things and still give my children everything they need. It is so freeing to think that I can have music in my home - playing the piano, singing, teaching my children these things - and I can create things - blankets and clothes for my children to love and use - and in these ways I bring art to my family. We can be surrounded by beauty, even without the music degree I so want to finish, or the ego that comes with labeling myself an "artist."

I think I can use these principles to help me feel more fulfilled in the role I've chosen in this life, even as things get busier and I face more difficult challenges. In all honesty, I just want to go to bed at night on a day when I've fed my family, done the dishes, folded some laundry, watered the garden, read to my kids, and helped with homework, and feel like I have accomplished important things and enjoyed myself at the same time. Do you think I can do it? If so, I may just have discovered the secret of life.

7 comments:

Ginger said...

Yes. You. Can! If anybody can do it, you can do it. Tanner is very lucky to be able to come live with you and have such a great step mom. Not everyone would be a great step mom, but you will be. You do accomplish so much each day. I cannot seem to find a way to do all those things each day that you listed, so if you are doing them then that is an accomplishment in and of its self!

I can't believe you just have 4 weeks left! We need to get together again before you have your baby. Maybe a girls night out with you, me and Becky! I will try to help you as best as I can when you have the baby even if it is just bringing a dinner or two when your ward dinners run out.

BAK said...

I agree with Ginger on many points (esp. the night out!).

I think I would like to look at that book. I'm not home all the time, but I still feel the same way. Especially how to balance the things I need to do vs want to do vs what my kids want me to do. It is such a struggle. But I know that if anyone can accomplish this, you can. Just the fact that you want to do this means that you will figure it out. Don't be too hard on yourself; you are a great example of motherhood to me. You are one of the kindest people I have ever met.

Stephanie said...

I feel like such a jerk because I seriously just haven't been in the "commenting" mood lately. I always think that I'll just make my comments to you in person or when we're on the phone. But I DO want you to know that I'm reading your blog and that I'm interested in your thoughts and feelings and day-to-day stuff. I just haven't felt like I've had much to give lately, I guess.

BUT... I, too, am definitely rooting for you! I can totally understand how panicked you must feel to have so many big changes happening in such a short time. I hate how life does that to us. Can't it just be one SMALL thing at a time? And I understand how you're scared, but at the same time excited to step up to the challenge. I already feel that way about having three young children--much less three young ones plus an adolescent! But I know you well enough to know that you will excel in the things that matter most: being there for your kids and being a wonderful, loving, caring, teaching mom to them. You already do excel in that area and are an example to me. Laundry eventually gets done and houses get clean, then dirty, then clean again. But I KNOW you'll be a great mom to your new baby and to Tanner, and I think they're both so lucky! And they have wonderful siblings who will love them, too. I hope I can be there for the way you need me when these big changes start happening. Please just let me know how I can be the most helpful! I love you, Mel! YOU CAN DO IT!

P.S. I'm inspired to read Plain and Simple! Thanks for sharing some great insights you've gained from reading it.

Anonymous said...

Mel I can't evev imagine handling such big changes like that all at once. But I know you can take on a lot and make it look easy to the rest of us. I'm always impressed when I'm at your house, when it seems like there's a lot going on, that you get a lot accomplished all at once. Like the night Julie and I were there- and we made dinner and dessert, sewed blankets, watched kids,and then Tanner came over all upset and you spent time with him...I really think you don't give yourself near enough credit-you're a great mom.
Julie and I were there when you were trying to comfort Tanner and I thought that you did a great job with him- trying to help him out but give him space at the same time. I know you can't see it, but to me you looked very in control and able to handle everything. Good luck, and even though I'm far away, I'll be praying for your family and here to talk anytime- not that I have any advice- but as a sister/friend. Love you, Mel.
And I definitely want to read that book-I love the Amish-we're hoping to visit Amish settlements not too far away soon so it's perfect!

nathansara said...

Like I have said before and I will again. You are great mother Melanie and they way your family acts is a testament that you and John are doing a wonderful job raising your family. I have learned a lot from you and how to put many things even the simple tasks into perspective. Thank you sharing your thoughts.

Elise said...

Mel. I've totally been thinking about you and praying for you all. All of your thoughts are so real, one of the many things I love about you! You are a wonderful, intelligent and strong woman. If anyone can tackle this new task it is you. Tanner is so lucky to have such a good support network in his time of sadness. You are a wonderful mother and J is a great father. I will continue to pray for you all and may the Lord's blessings be with you...

Becky said...

Wow, I can't believe your baby is due so SOON!! Good luck with everything coming up for you guys. Keep trying to live in the moment, enjoy the process, etc. Great tips!