Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Broken kids & broken heart


I am so exhausted.........physically and emotionally. We finally figured out what was wrong with Katie and got her on antibiotics, so I thought things were going to get better. But after two days of vomiting every time we give her medicine and eating absolutely nothing, Katelyn was looking terrible this morning. So I dragged her back to the doctor and they sent us to the ER for IV fluids and antibiotics. It was a long day with two little children in a small ER exam room, but Katie started asking for food and seems to be feeling a tiny bit better now that we're home. I am very hopeful that she's going to get better now and maybe we can get our lives back.

The sad thing about being at Primary Children's today, is that I was there yesterday with Carter. I hesitate to even say this because it still makes me so sad that I want to cry and throw up at the same time. Carter was riding the tricycle in the back yard yesterday when he fell and broke one of his front teeth. I took him to a pediatric dentist, hoping that they could fix it. Unfortunately, it was broken into several pieces. I had to hold him down while they numbed him and pulled the tooth out. I cannot explain the anguish of that task. Of course, while we were there I had to take Katelyn to the restroom to vomit and we had to push her in a stroller because she couldn't walk, even though Carter was the traumatized one. I still can't look at Carter's sweet face without a sharp pang of regret and guilt. I wish I could rewind yesterday and never let him on that stupid trike!

So there you have it. The past few days have been the very worst in this terrible week and I'm ready for everything to be happy again. I realize that there are so many people going through so much worse. Our problems are really not that tragic. So from now on, no more downer posts. I know that my blog has been down right depressing lately. I am resolving to make it more uplifting to read. Tune in for happier thoughts tomorrow.....

Katelyn was not happy about the IV in her hand

Carter looks pretty banged up,huh?

3 comments:

BAK said...

Oh, Mel, I am just so sad for you, Katie, and Carter (and John, too!). I want to cry with you! I know how it is when you have those moments that you just want to go back and erase. I hope that everything will be okay, and that everyone will start feeling better. I will call you tomorrow! Hang in there! You are such a great mother; I know how much you love your babies & hate to see them hurting. Love, Becky

[alisar] said...

Oh my!! What a week you've been having! It sounds like you need to call in reinforcements. Like a sister or your mom. All of you need a little TLC right now. I feel so helpless all the way in PA, darn it! I wish I could bring you dinner (I would seriously overcome my phobia for you :)
Hang in there - you are an inspiring mom!

Elise said...

MEL!!! I am SO SORRY for all of the injury/sickness. When it rains it pours, HUH?!? No worries, it goes the other way too and I'm sure nothing but sunny skies are headed your way. We really are thinking about you and praying for you.

P.S. Katie looks SO SICK. I can't believe how strong and composed you are. I would be a wreck!