Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Radiology in action

I finally took Katelyn to the pediatrician yesterday. I decided Sunday that if she still had a fever at 9am on Monday that I would call and make an appointment. So we set out for a walk at 8am. I took the kids to the park and they played for a few minutes. We got home at 9 and Katelyn's temp was down to 99.1, the lowest it has been since last Wednesday night. I was so happy! She and Carter played on the swingset in the backyard, and she even ate some oatmeal. I decided there was no need to take her in, and started catching up on the housework I've been letting go while she's been sick. By 10:00 she was lying on the floor in a heap, and when I checked her temp it was 102.4. Darn it!

By the time we got to the doctor, Katie's fever was above 104, even with the ibuprofen I had given her. She was so miserable as she sat on the exam table and got poked and prodded. To my surprise, they decided to do a chest x-ray. John had gotten to slip out and join us for the appointment, and he actually got to view the x-ray before the pediatrician did. Her right lung looked really bad! She has pneumonia, but the good news is that she'll start feeling better once the antibiotics kick in. Poor girl! They said she most likely got a virus first, and that weakened her immune system so that she was more susceptible to the pneumonia.

We had another rough night, with more vomiting and a very high fever still. She won't eat anything because her stomach hurts, and I can't convince her that she needs to eat to feel better. I hope that she starts feeling better today. I can't stand seeing my baby so miserable!

3 comments:

BAK said...

Oh, Mel, I hope that she starts feeling better. That is so scary; who would have thought she had pneumonia! Take care & let me know if I can do anything.

Elise said...

We'll pray for her (and you)!

[alisar] said...

Are you serious????? I can't believe she has pneumonia. I'm totally going to include her in my prayers this morning. Keep us posted!!!!!