Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Mother of the Year

I'm feeling like the greatest mom who ever lived. Seriously, just hand over the award right now--I totally deserve it. Here's a brief rundown of our weekend:

  • Friday night: John was walking Carter down the hall, and when he said, "It's time to get jammies on," Carter lifted up his legs in protest. John instinctively squeezed to keep him from falling and felt a pop in Carter's arm. He tried to use his medical expertise to figure out where it was dislocated and pop it back in, but Carter continued to scream and wouldn't move his arm at all. So I rushed him up to the ER at Primary Children's. We were there from about 10:30 pm until 3 am! They took the x-ray very soon after we arrived but it took them forever to get us back to see a doctor. The kicker is that by the time they called us back, Carter was running around playing and using his arm like there was nothing wrong! He had dislocated his arm at the elbow (nurse maid's elbow) and apparently John's attempt to fix it had worked and he was just in pain for quite a while after that.
  • Here's Carter at 12:30 am in the waiting room of the ER. Obviously he's in a lot of pain--the arm he's using to hold his headphone is the one he wouldn't move at all a few hours earlier.

  • Sunday afternoon: Tanner and the kids were playing downstairs when Katie decided to climb onto our little glass end table to jump off onto the couch. The glass split and she got a big gash on her leg just above her knee. The cut was so deep I couldn't stand to look at it. John had left to run errands and I couldn't reach him, so I took her to Urgent Care to see if she needed stitches. They would have stitched her up, but it was a V-shaped cut and the skin had to be stretched to sew it up. The doctor said the skin would probably die and fall off anyway, so he just bandaged it up really well. She has a huge bandage around her thigh and we have to keep re-wrapping it. I feel so bad!

    Here's Katelyn and her poor bandaged leg. (Don't ask what she's doing with her finger!)

  • Monday: Carter was riding Katie's tricycle on our back patio and he fell off of the tricycle. His front teeth cut into the inside of his upper lip and he was bleeding everywhere. For the last two days his lip has been swollen up and he looks terrible!
I know that kids get hurt all the time, and my kids are just fine, but I can't help feeling like I must not be protecting them enough. I hope we can get through the rest of the week without anymore accidents!

4 comments:

BAK said...

Holy cow! I'm sorry to hear (read, that is!) about all the mishaps. Hope the rest of the week goes better.

Becky said...

Wow, what a weekend! Two trips to the ER/urgent car in three days! You poor thing! I hope the kids are doing better now. Actually, I'm impressed that Dr. John fixed Carter's arm. It's just too bad you had to spend all night in the ER to find that out!

Elise said...

When it rains it pours, huh? I'm sure this week will go better. And don't be too hard on yourself... you are one of the BEST mom's around!!!!

[alisar] said...

Seriously?? That is pretty impressive to have so much go wrong at once. The bright side is that you were in the mindset for disaster. You know? Just one disaster after another. No time to get comfortable.
I'm so sorry! At least your kids are tough as nails and know how to take a beating.
P.S. Gross about your multiple basement floodings. I'm feeling your pain!