Wednesday, June 4, 2008

About time for a new post, don't you think?

This is my new garden fence, built for me by my loving husband. (The picture's not so great, but it shows you what kind of day we're having, and explains why I'm in the mood and have time for blogging.) I am in awe of my hubby's ability to do anything he sets his mind to. He had never attempted to build a fence or gate before this, but we went to Home Depot and he figured out what to buy, and how much, and by the end of the day we had a beautiful fence. And then he spent hours upon hours painting it white. What a sweetheart, huh?

Inside of this fence is my new obsession, and will be the majority of my time and efforts this summer. I've never planted a garden before. Yes, I've had cherry tomato plants in pots on apartment patios, but that was never very successful. I'd better get more of a return from this endeavor, or we'll have wasted a lot of time and money! In my garden I have tomatoes, roma tomatoes, cherry tomatoes, green peppers, red peppers, serrano peppers, jalapenos, green beans, zucchini, crookneck squash, cucumber, watermelon, cantaloupe, honeydew melon, pumpkin, carrots, yellow onions, green onions, swiss chard, strawberries, and a bunch of herbs. I've also lined the tall fence with sunflowers that I hope will grow to 6 feet. Can you tell I'm a little excited?

Can I tell you what I hate about gardening? Morning glory! I've never dealt with this weed before, but a lifelong battle has begun, and it's already threatening to defeat me. I spent close to 8 hours weeding on Monday, which was fine at the time, but I could barely pick my feet up to walk yesterday. I'm almost as stiff today, so I guess I'm lucky it's raining. I'm just worried that the rain is feeding the weeds and I'll have to start all over when the sun comes out.

I know I'm not the only one gardening this year. If you are, I'm dying to know what you're growing. And if not, what are you doing with your summer? Any fun plans or big projects?

8 comments:

Lucy said...

I thought the fence looked adorable before painting, but it's perfect now! I am amazed at how much John is able to get done around the house, along with his busy work schedule.

We had a garden one summer and I learned that I was not a gardener. That doesn't mean I don't hope I will become one someday, but it seemed like one more thing on a to-do list for me. I hope all of your organic fruit and vegetable goodness grows like you hope. The sunflowers will make you happy. Those grew in spite of my constant neglect!

Anonymous said...

Holy cow you're growing a lot! That's awesome. Last year I was lucky because I had a little garden at grandpa's but this year I'm still trying- I have two large pots on my porch- one with roma tomatoes and one with squash. I haven't killed them yet- I hope they do well. I'm also trying to keep some hanging plants and flowers alive. Hopefully James can keep it all alive while I'm in Utah. It sure is fun to grow things. Your fence is awesome- how nice to have a handyman around! Happy weeding :)

[alisar] said...

You two are so ambitious! I am constantly in awe at what workhorses you and John are! The fence is amazing. We hemmed and hawed for a month about planting a garden, we even made a trip to Home Depot for shovels, rakes, and fence supplies. We returned home with two pots and four tomato plants! So I've got nothing for you as far as advice, except have fun!

Becky said...

Wow, as usual, you and John both amaze me!! I can't wait to see pictures of all your yummy fruits and vegetables!

We had a day like that today. It stayed in the 50's and drizzled all day.

Julia finishes 1st grade in 2 weeks and then starts 2nd grade 2 weeks after that! Then she has another 3 weeks off later in the summer. We don't have any big plans, except a couple of weekend trips, which I'm sure you'll read about on my blog. And of course swimming in our community pool all summer!

BAK said...

I love your fence and am amazed at how well it turned out. And I know your garden will be a success; you always do well at whatever you put your mind to! Enjoy your time in the sun, weeding your garden. ;)

Ginger said...

Such a lovely garden! Just so you know, when you have and abundance of tomatoes you can send some our way. ;)

luvmy5boyscora said...

Love the white picket fence Mel. I think what you have planted sounds great. Did you do garden boxes or plant right into the ground? I don't know if you remember my garden boxes, but it does save a lot of time weeding because you aren't weeding the aisles. And the boxes are a little taller and it makes it easier on the back. Josh wants to plant right into the ground here, and I am voting for garden boxes because I think it is a tad easier. Anyways, you have so much energy! Are you starting to feel any better? Any closer to a name yet? Have fun this summer and you will LOVE seeing your garden grow and so will your kids. Gavin and Cody were talking about your kids a couple nights ago. They even were talking about Tanner's b-day coming up soon. I don't know how they remember that, but maybe because it is close to Gavin's. We miss you guys! :)

adrienne said...

Wow I'm am so jelous! I wanted to have a garden this year, but I got discouraged! He really is a nice husband to build that for you. He helps you with your dreams-thats an awesome husband. Good luck my mom planted one every year and I planted one with me grandma every year till she died. Some years we were more successful than others. The animals always ate the garden. Weeding was awful! So best of luck to you. I can't wait to see pictures!
much love,
Adrienne