Tuesday, June 17, 2008

How ironic that for the last 13 days, every time you've looked at my blog you've read the title of my last post, "About time for a new post, don't you think?"! It is definitely time that I update you on what's going on in my world. I'm just struggling for the right words.

A week ago yesterday, Tanner's mom passed away. (If you don't know, Tanner is my 12-year-old stepson.) This was a huge shock to everybody - most of all, I'm sure, to Tanner. His mom has been sick for a long time, but we always hoped that he wouldn't be faced with this until he was much older. We found out from a mutual friend, and it took us several days before we were able to reach Tanner. We were so worried about him and how he was handling things, that it made for a rough week. We finally got to spend a few hours with him Thursday evening. The funeral was on Saturday. It is heart-wrenching to watch a young child grieve the loss of a parent.

As you can imagine, there are big changes in store for our little family. We'll be meeting with Tanner's stepdad and grandma this week to iron out the details, so I hesitate to say much yet. I can tell you that I am overwhelmed and terrified to take on a bigger role in Tanner's life. At the same time, I look forward to spending more time with him - I love Tanner so much!

Like I said before, I'm having a hard time expressing my feelings right now. I feel like I'm in limbo and that is a paralyzing feeling for me. I think I'll feel better when the decisions have been made and the ball is rolling.

My heart goes out to Tanner and his brother, his stepdad, his grandparents, and anyone else who is missing Jayme right now.

7 comments:

[alisar] said...

I don't even know what to say. Poor Tanner. I wish no child had to lose his mother in his youth. I'm so sad for him. And for you and John and for everyone else involved. We will be thinking of and praying for you guys to be able to make the best decisions for Tanner. Much love, Chad and Alisa

BAK said...

I have been thinking of you guys this week and wondering if anything is happening. I know you guys and how much you love Tanner. You will be able to make the right decision for his & your futures. I can think of no better people to be able to help him pick up the pieces. You are a great mom to ALL of your kids and they are lucky to have you.

luvmy5boyscora said...

My heart goes out to Tanner. I found out from my mom about the situation and have had you guys in my thoughts and prayers. I'm so sorry. I just know you might be struggling right now with all that this means for you personally too. I hope everything works out and wish I could do something to help. You know we love your family. I remember reading a quote by President Monson a few weeks ago in the church news and he said something like this- there isn't a kinder, less selfless act than that of holding and helping a motherless child.

Becky said...

Wow. This must be so overwhelming for you guys right now. I have always admired you for being so great with Tanner. He's very lucky to have you.

That's crazy that John wasn't informed RIGHT AWAY after she died!! I'm so sorry for Tanner, though. I hope he's doing okay.

Ginger said...

I hope everything is working out for you guys and that it will be a smooth transition. Let me know if you need anything and when you are up for getting together.

Lucy said...

Wow, Melanie. I pray the coming changes will go as smoothly as they can, and that all of you are comforted and supported in the ways that you'll each need to be. My thoughts are with you, John, Tanner, Katelyn and Carter right now.

adrienne said...

Mel, know one is more qualifed to be a mother to him as you are. I saw the way you love and care for him. He is so lucky to have you. Someone to offer him uncontitional love. We will put him in our prayers.
Much love