Tuesday, July 24, 2007

It's Good to be Back: The Drive-In

Everyone knows how much I loved living in Spokane. At least one time every day, I think about doing something and then realize that I can't because I'm not in Spokane anymore. But there were some things we really missed while living there. Two of those things were the dollar theatre and the drive-in. Once we had kids, we realized that we wouldn't get to see many more movies in the theatre. We found out how easy it is to watch movies in the car while the kids play, eat, cry, or whatever. Well, John is off work today because Pioneer Day is a state holiday in Utah (awesome!), so we took the kids to the drive-in last night. For $18, we took the entire family, Tanner included, to see Ratatouille and Pirates of the Caribbean. We rediscovered how comfortable we are in the company of the unpretentious people who frequent the drive-in, which is actually east of our home now. (It was very strange approaching Redwood Road from the west instead of the east.)




Carter was sooo excited to find that we had taken the seats out of the van and loaded it with blankets and pillows.


The kids loved sitting outside to watch the movies when they weren't in the back of the van. (Sorry the picture's so dark.)

5 comments:

Elise said...

LOVE the drive-in. I miss it too. Remember when we were talking about having a drive-in in Spokane? Then we decided it wouldn't be a good idea, since the sun doesn't go down until like 10! The movies couldn't start until 11... you'd have to pull an all nighter to see two movies : ) p.s. it's the same over here in Rochester!

Anonymous said...

Hey Mel! Sounds like you had a great time at the drive-in. I think that the people-watching is almost as fun as the actual movie! Hope you had a great 24th! Becky

Amanda said...

I have got to get to the drive-in! I love it! I haven't been this summer and we really need to go. Thanks for the idea! Amanda

[alisar] said...

I had to laugh at this post. I KNOW how much you've been looking forward to reconnecting with your drive-in roots. So glad you got your wish so quickly. The kids look adorable as always. We tried to call you guys last weekend, but your cell phone numbers were disconnected - call us if you want on our same cell number. Need to hear your voice :)

Becky said...

Uh-oh, I'm gonna have to start signing my last name. There's another Becky!

About the drive-in...What a great idea! The last drive-in movie I remember seeing was Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves, with Kevin Costner. I'm not even kidding. I'll have to try it with the kids some time. They would love it!
Becky (Cole)