Monday, July 30, 2007

Friends in the 'hood

I had an experience last night that I just have to share. My bishop lives on the corner at the end of my street, and he has several daughters who are babysitting age. I was looking for a babysitter for today, and the bishop had told me that his family would be home around 9 pm, so I was waiting and watching for them to get home. 10:30 came and went and I was about to give up, when I noticed the porch light on at their house. So at 10:40 pm I ran across the street in my bare feet. As I approached, I saw the bishop's wife on her porch swing along with a woman in our ward who has been sitting with me in RS, and my neighbor from across the street (who brought us cookies the day we moved in). They were chatting and laughing, and greeted me excitedly as I came up the walk. I was overwhelmed with the feeling of love and welcoming from these women who hardly know me. I arranged the babysitter, chatted for a few minutes, and said my goodbyes. I walked back home with the hugest smile on my face. I really feel like these women are going to be dear friends, like I could ask anything of them and they'd be happy to help out. John and I have felt since we got here that we are in the perfect house for us, and I find new evidence to support that feeling every day.

4 comments:

[alisar] said...

I feel so happy everytime I hear a little morsel about your new life. It seems like you are really fitting in and finding your niche. Thank goodness! Give those lady a hug for me for being so kind to my friend :)

Elise said...

I'm so glad that you are finding wonderful friends! Hearing your story reminds me how much I LOVE those beautiful, peaceful Utah nights : ) How lucky to be close to family and good and kind neighbors. You deserve it!

Becky said...

That's awesome that you have such great neighbors! I'm happy that you're feeling so good about your new home. I've only ever talked to one couple on my street! I guess I expected that when people saw the moving truck, they would just come running! But it hasn't been like that. We've felt really welcomed by a family in our ward who lives a few streets over, though. Maybe everyone else was scared off by our Utah license plates!

the Seegs said...

Did you think I would ever check out the new posts to your blog? Well, I did, and I love reading what you have to say! I'm just reminded about what a positive person you are. I know you still miss Spokane like crazy, but you are looking around for all the wonderful things about your new home, neighborhood, and ward, and I'm so glad that you're happy where you are now! And it's so nice to have you back!