Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Progress?

You might be thinking to yourself, "Wow, Melanie hasn't posted to her blog in a long time!" No, I am not giving up blogging, which I'm sure would devastate many people. I am becoming a tried and true do-it-yourself-er, and have been very busy. Ten days ago, I posted pictures of the hole in our wall. Well, since then, the hole has been taped and mudded. The wallpaper has been removed in our living room, kitchen/dining area, stairway, and master bedroom. I have a portion of our popcorn ceiling scraped off and am hoping to finish in the next few days. We have ripped down half of the bricks above our fireplace. (I was scared to death taking a chisel and hammer to my fireplace, especially when I got the first brick out and saw the exterior bricks behind it. Luckily, John can do anything and he's got if all sheetrocked and ready to be taped and mudded.) We are almost ready to texture our walls so that we can paint and put up crown molding and new base moldings. And we haven't been here a month yet! This is very exciting to us! Here are the before and after of the fireplace:

Yes, it looks worse in the second picture! But it's going to look nice, I promise! The walls will be beige and we'll have white crown molding. We're going to build a mantle that will change the look of the fireplace drastically! Can't wait to show you...

3 comments:

Becky said...

You guys are amazing. How do you even know that stuff needs to be taped and mudded? And textured? I'm impressed. Sounds like you've been busy!! I bet it will all be beautiful. Today, I finally unpacked all the books and put them on shelves, and that's only because someone from church was coming over and I still had boxes sitting in my living room! Oh yeah, I'm going to be a primary teacher--CTR 5, the class just above Sunbeams.

Becky said...

P.S. Yes, I remember Georgia! But we didn't get a family picture with her! I sure miss that cafeteria. I've been making lunches for Jeromy every day! And cooking dinner a little more often, but still not as much as I should!

Elise said...

Gotta love Georgia! WOW, you should go on the show Weekend Warriors. he he he. I am so glad to hear that the wallpaper is coming down so quickly... and you thought it would take forever. I can't wait to see it all in person. I just bought my tickets. I'll be there Sept 4 - Sept 11. Let's do lunch or something! Can't wait to see ya : )