Sunday, September 9, 2007

Drum Roll Please.......

The time has come for me to have a job in our new ward. I have been wondering what they would ask me to do. Last week I was asked to substitute for the pianist in Relief Society and I was really excited. I would be thrilled to have that as my calling, because it seems to me to be the easiest thing to do - no preparation, no pressure, not in the spotlight at all. However, I knew in the back of my mind that because I wanted that calling, I would probably not get it. When the first counselor in the bishopric, who happens to be our next door neighbor and one of the nicest people I've ever met, approached me and said he had a calling for me, I didn't know what to expect. When he said that they would like me to serve as the secretary in the Primary presidency, I was shocked. I've never had a calling in Primary! I was so surprised that I stood there trying to decided if I had heard him right. I think he was a little worried by my reaction until I regained my composure, smiled, and assured him that I would be happy to do it. And I am happy. I think Primary is so important, and I can share the experience with my children. I have to say, I'll miss Relief Society. It's my favorite part of the 3-hour Sunday experience.

I was sustained today and, after dropping the kids off at their classes, I reported for duty. I was nervous and didn't really know what I was supposed to do. We're preparing for our Sacrament program in a few weeks, so we went to the chapel to practice. Needless to say, I didn't really get a good idea of what my role will be. But I'm excited. Our primary is tiny. We have so few children that there is just one sharing time. I would be surprised if there were 20 kids there today. So I don't think the work load will be super heavy, but I think I'll have an opportunity to get really close to the children. I hope they'll benefit from that as much as I know I will.

Happy thought: I am so grateful for a husband who let me sleep in this morning, and then hung around to get the kids dressed for church. I know he was just dying to get out the door so that he and Tanner could get at the fish before too much of the day was gone, but he showed no signs of impatience. What a great guy!

2 comments:

BAK said...

I think that you will do a great job in Primary! Glad your first day went well. And what a nice husband you have to let you sleep in, especially since your silly friends kept you up all night! ;)

Becky said...

You'll do great! I know how you feel about missing relief society, but once you get used to being in primary, you'll be fine. I teach the CTR 5 class now (well, half of it since we have a million kids in our primary. There are 10 just in my half!) A few years ago, I was a horrible primary secretary! I really shouldn't be secretary of anything because I'm just not organized or meticulous enough. But it was fun working with the other members of the presidency, and they found things for me to do that I was good at!