Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Fruits of our "Labor" Day weekend

On the south side of our property, the neighbors put in a beautiful white vinyl fence. It runs from our front yard all the way down the side to the end of our backyard. The back of our yard is a chain link fence, but is almost completely covered with grape vines, so it looks nice and gives us privacy. The north side of our house, however, is a big old wooden fence. John decided he wanted it white so it sort of looks like the vinyl on the other side. (Katelyn insisted on helping, and ended up covered in white paint!) John did most of the work, but I pitched in a little and the project was finished in 2 days. It looks great now!

John has been planning on building a work bench in our garage, since we have enough space in there for a third car, but we've been waiting for the money to buy wood. We got lucky when our friend Shane took John to his old work site where they were giving away a bunch of benches and shelves. Here's the result, and John couldn't be more pleased!
Our other big project this weekend was to texture our ceilings upstairs. We finished scraping the popcorn off of our living room ceiling a few weeks ago, and the rest of our ceilings needed new texture because they're all different. So John, being the man who can do anything he puts his mind to, spent Saturday and part of Sunday morning finishing all of the texture. I'm so impressed - it looks awesome!

With our new beautiful texture up, I was excited to get going on the painting. Last night I primed the ceiling in the living room. Can you tell the difference?


I'm so excited to get this room done! Today I'll prime the walls and hopefully paint the ceiling. The walls will be Bonjour Beige and the ceiling and all of the moldings will be Antique White, which will continue through on all of the moldings in the house and the kitchen cabinets. I hope to have more pictures to show you tomorrow!

I have to add that we couldn't have accomplished nearly as much this weekend without the help and companionship of our good friends Shane and Becky. They spent over 12 hours with us on Saturday, and then when I thought they were sick to death of us, Becky and I were on the phone planning to hang out and relax Sunday night. We're so glad to live so much closer now!

3 comments:

Becky said...

Wow, you guys are amazing! That ceiling looks great!

BAK said...

Your ceiling looks great! I can't wait to see it. You guys are great friends; we are grateful that you moved back so we could have a life. :)

Stephanie said...

I am so impressed with all the work you and John have put into your house in such a short time! I love the textured look on your ceiling. I can't wait to see how it looks painted, with the beautiful colors you've chosen. I can see why you're so excited! Keep up the great work! And by the way-- you have no reason in the world to feel guilty for not helping me with MY tomatoes. It's not like you don't have anything else to do with your time! You're such a great sister, though, to want to support me in my own endeavors. I wish I could be more help to you with your house. Maybe we should plan a painting party! (Not that I claim to be any good at it.) Anyhow, good luck and I hope you get a lot done today!