Friday, September 21, 2007

Try this diet - it works!

I lost a few pounds this week and I'm so proud of myself! It's called the gastroenteritis diet. It involves a lot of stomach cramps, and absolutely no eating for 4 to 5 days. The good part about it is that you get to lie around and do nothing and let your house turn into a disaster zone.

OK, on a serious note, I feel like I've been missing for a long time! My children have been without a mother, my huband misses his best pal, and my house is in dire need of its maid. I started feeling sick on Sunday night, and by Monday afternoon I was in the throws of the stomach flu. It's been a long week, but I awoke this morning feeling somewhat human, and I am excited to get back to my life. So of course the first thing I need to do is to update my blog! You know I'm not feeling well if I can't even blog. Yesterday was the first day I even had the energy to sit at the computer, and I realized how much I had missed when I started catching up on my favorite blogs. This led me to some pretty cheesy thoughts, so allow me to wax sentimental for a moment.

I was reminded this week that there is nothing more important in this life than people. I haven't cared about clothes, or possessions, and I'm sick to death of television. I haven't even had interest in food! But my relationships have been so important to me. My sisters took my kids for a full day, even though they've got their own hardships right now. My husband exhausted himself rushing home from work and doing absolutely everything for our family. My poor children were basically orphans all week, and they were so good! I spent the day yesterday just watching them and smiling. They are so precious, and I was in the perfect state of mind to enjoy watching their personalities unfold without getting frustrated with behavioral issues.

I can't discuss relationships without mentioning blogging. I have really missed the friendship and support that comes from reading my friends' blogs and getting feedback on my own blog. And with that, I'm done being cheesy.

We finished painting our living room on Saturday, and got it all cleaned up and put back together Sunday night. Since then, I've been dying to post pictures! Hopefully I can do that before the day is over.

5 comments:

BAK said...

Hey Mel! I am glad you are feeling somewhat better! What a great diet plan...maybe I'll have to try it. ;)

I know exactly what you mean about missing blogging friends & acquaintances. For the past 3 days I've been dying to get back to know what is happening with all my online friends. Glad to have you back! Great pics of cute Katie & Carter!

Stephanie said...

I am so glad you're feeling better! I have definitely missed blogging with you and hanging out with you.

It seems like I've come to the same conclusion as you have this week about people being the most important in life. Housework and hobbies and whatever else takes up our time doesn't really matter when the ones we love are struggling. I am grateful to have such wonderful sisters! Sometimes I feel like you guys are the only ones I can turn to when I need something, and hopefully we all feel that way about each other. I love you, Mel!

p.s. I'm dying to see pics of your living room!

Elise said...

Mel Bel. I seriously can't believe that bad luck with sickness you guys have had this year. I think you're done for 2007, 2008 and 2009! I thought that something had to be wrong when you post was like a week old : ) I actually got home from the UT about a week ago. I learned a few things. 1) Don't only go for a week. It's NOT enough time. I think 9 days is PERFECT for me. 2) It's especailly not enough time when you go for a family wedding. 3) Plan enough time to go see you cute friends, cute house : ) I'm sure I'll be back there soon. I can't wait to see all of the progress!!! : )

[alisar] said...

Welcome back! I've been craving a Mel fix all week. I'm so sorry you've been sick. I have to admit that I've been praying for a small run of stomach flu so that I can lose a few pounds before our family reunion next week. Wanting to be as thin as my sister-in-law fits under the category of "righteous desires of the heart" right???
P.S. Can't wait for house pics!

jamesncassie said...

Hi Mel,
I'm sorry you've been sick. Our family is not having it very easy right now it seems. But I'm glad you're feeling better. I'd love to see more of your house pics. You guys are so fast at getting stuff done! Tell Katelyn and Carter hi for me.
love,
Cassie