Thursday, December 4, 2008

My Favorite Things #3: My Parents

I LOVE my mom and dad! This picture was taken at the Messiah Sing-Along last weekend. It's an event we've tried to attend together as a family every year. One of the best things my parents did for me was to teach me to love music. When I was little, I watched in awe as my mom played the piano and the guitar. I loved to sit with my dad in church and listen to his deep voice as he sang the hymns. I loved playing their records on the record player in our living room, and I thought the 8-track to cassette converter in my dad's old Plymouth Duster was the bomb!

Because of my mom's example, I begged to take piano lessons. My parents told me I could start lessons when I turned eight, and I was ready to go the minute my birthday rolled around. Now, even though I don't get much time to play and I'm getting pretty rusty, I'll always have that ability. It's one of the things that makes me truly happy. As does singing. I don't have an incredible voice, but I have a good ear and I love singing in group settings. Being a part of a concert hall full of people belting out their parts that intertwine and create beautiful harmonies is a spiritual experience for me.

I can't leave out the the music I grew up listening to. I'll always have a special place in my heart for Wagner, and for The Carpenters, America, Abba, John Denver, and Peter, Paul, & Mary. Thanks, Mom and Dad, for giving me the gift of music.

7 comments:

Ginger said...

Isn't it great to grow up and appreciate our moms a little more? I meant to go to Music Makers then had more car troubles. I'll tell you about it next time I see you.

Ginger said...

And I love your sidebar pictures of your adorable family.

[alisar] said...

I love to listen to you play. I don't think I've ever expressed my amazement at the music group you started. Your passion is inspiring to me.

Becky said...

Melanie, you're so gorgeous, and I love your hair!

BAK said...

I love that you love music. You are such an amazing pianist, and like Alisa I love to hear you play. Thanks for teaching us so much about music this past year at Music Makers. It is so much fun to come each week!

Stephanie said...

I am LOVING your "My Favorite Things" posts. I might have to steal the idea! I love dad's Messiah tradition. I'm SO glad we were able to make it there one more year. It's a miracle, really! You know, if it hadn't been for your intense desire to take piano lessons, I probably never would have! So I have you AND mom to thank for my own love for music. But I'll never have your amazing talent, that's for sure! :-) You really have a gift.

Anonymous said...

Cute hair! I wish I could've been at the Messiah. I love that tradition. You're an amazing piano player and I've always looked up to you for that and wanted to be as good as you. I still remember going to one of your piano recitals at Mrs. Allen's and you played Mozart- I can't think of the name of it but it was amazing. Funny that I remember that huh?