Tuesday, December 16, 2008

My Favorite Things #11: O Tannenbaum

Like my friend Becky, I love the glow of my Christmas tree. You would think I'd get it up earlier so that I can enjoy it longer, but I'm having trouble staying caught up just with the day-to-day right now, so we're lucky we even have a tree! The kids and I went a week ago and picked out a live tree at our local grocery store. They have nice trees for one reasonable price. If I go to a tree lot, the tree I want is always the most expensive, so I prefer the "one price fits all" approach. (No, I haven't given in and bought an artificial tree yet, though I assume I will eventually. I love the smell and, well everything about a real tree!) This year I surrendered all control. I allowed Tanner to pick the tree, although I didn't understand his choice until we got it all decorated. I think it looks great now. I also let the kids put up all of the ornaments without my guidance. I have to admit, I do look at the tree and think that I should move a couple of things. You probably can't tell from the picture, but most of the ornaments are silver and red balls. There are small and large balls of both colors, and half of the red are shiny and half are matte. If I hung the ornaments, I would spend way too much time and effort trying to perfectly alternate the sizes and colors. I'm proud of myself for letting the kids do it and not going back and fixing it. It still has the pleasing glow, and that's all I really care about. I have to mention how excited Carter is that we have a real tree in our house. He must not have been paying attention last year!

I have to include a picture of the three cute little trees outside my front door. My same friend Becky found these on clearance after Christmas last year and was sweet enough to pick a box up for me and for our friend Ally. I had to wait a full year to finally be able to put them up. I love the atmosphere it creates before you enter our home.
Hope you're enjoying your holiday decor!

5 comments:

Ginger said...

It looks so nice, I can't wait to see it.

BAK said...

Your house looks so pretty. I love your mantle and am a wee bit jealous of its beauty. Your tree is gorgeous - good job, Tanner!!!

Stephanie said...

Your Christmas tree looks so big and gorgeous! I am proud of you, too, for surrendering control and letting your kids pick out and decorate the tree. Yikes! Apparantly they did a fantastic job, though! And I LOVE the small trees by your front door. Did they come with lights? Yeah, I, too, am loving the wonderful coziness of our Christmas decorations-- especially at night. This is such a fun time of year!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful Christmas tree and lights. I couldn't tell the kids decorated it! I love the decorations around the fireplace too.

adrienne said...

Melanie,
YOur house looks so beautiful for Christmas. I to had to let the tree go this year. It was Jeff's year for colored lights! I really love reading your blog. It makes me miss you and want to be your neighbor again!-I miss our walks on Palouse! I love your favorite things-so fun to read!
Adrienne