Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Day 2 O' the Potty

Yesterday I wasn't so sure if this whole potty thing was going to work out. Carter is so young! But after today, I'm feeling better about it. We kept up the same routine, where I have him get on the potty every half hour or so. I tried to keep stretching the time between trips. He did so awesome. He insisted on wearing underwear to bed for his nap, and he stayed dry for the whole 2 1/2 hours! The only accident of the entire day was right before bed, when I let him run around naked before bath time and I wasn't really paying attention. He was able to stop himself and finish on the potty. Maybe I'm getting too detailed. Anyway, I think Carter is actually getting the hang of it.


I just have to say, it was a hard day. The second day in a row of staying home all day. The second full day of struggling to accomplish anything because most of my time was spent in the bathroom. I found myself thinking once, as I sat on the floor in the bathroom doorway while Carter did his business, "Am I contributing anything at all in this world?" I was able to reason that it is something to help a member of society learn good bathroom habits. With this attitude, I started dinner and turned it into a cooking lesson for Katie. Now she knows how to peel carrots and wash celery.


I had this feeling all day that I am a big fat nothing. I was obviously feeling pretty down. Luckily I had a good experience right before putting Katie to bed. We were going over her letters, and to shake it up a bit, I had her write them instead of reciting each letter and its sound. She can write almost all of them with no help. We practiced the ones that are difficult for her - z, w, s - a couple of times. I was amazed at how smart she is. I don't know how she's internalized all of this stuff so quickly, basically on her own. This was the first time I've actually sat down with her to show her how to write, and she already knows it all!


I'm really not trying to brag - I know that those of you whose children are past this stage are thinking, "Yeah, that's how it works. They're pretty smart little buggers." I remember watching Alisa's little Maryn and being amazed at how quickly she picked up reading. And I remember thinking Elise's Sam was so smart when he could write his name in chalk on their patio. I'm very excited that it's my turn to watch my little girl learn.

I know I'm rambling. I guess what I'm trying to say is this. I know that what we do as mothers is so important, and that we really make a difference in the world with what we teach our children. I just wish that it wasn't so hard to feel important as a stay-at-home mom. There is so much more recognition and validation when you have a career outside of the home. I'm very lucky to have a husband who supports what I do. He has spent the evening pointing out all of the things our kids can do because of my teaching and guidance. Thanks for that, sweetie. I really do love being a mom. Sounds like I should get out of the house tomorrow, huh?!

3 comments:

BAK said...

Hey girl. I am sorry you had a hard day; I hate those, when you feel so stir crazy and down.

What you are doing is the most important things you'll ever do. there isn't a lot of glory in it, but it is wonderful for your kids. You are a great mom, and a great friend, and kind to everyone around you. Don't be too hard on yourself! You are very loved, and have amazing kids to boot.

Anonymous said...

Maybe, if you are working so hard at potty training, he is too young. If you have to take him into the bathroom that frequently, you might be training yourself and not him. I just say that b/c boys often train later but when they're ready it's almost automatic. My son (now 16) wasn't toilet trained until he was at least 3 1/2; my daughter trained herself at two. They're just all so different; don't pressure yourself into thinking he has to be trained at any given age.

Staying home, if you can do it, is great. It will pay dividends for both of you in the end.

Melanie said...

Sally, thanks for the comment. I agree with you whole-heartedly. I had planned on waiting until C was at least 3 to start training him, and I've stuck to my guns for the last 2 months while he's climbed on the potty by himself several times a day and used public restrooms wherever his sister does - Walmart, Joann's, the grocery store, you name it. I decided since he's so eager, I should at least try it, and give it a really good try at that. So far he's seeming to catch on, but who knows what the end result will be. Thanks for your advice. It helps to hear about others' experiences.