Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Katie's special trip


Because Katelyn's birthday is two days before Christmas, we try to celebrate about a month early. That way, she's about sick of her birthday presents just in time to get new ones for Christmas. I have been waiting since before Katelyn was born to take her to Build A Bear. Purely for her enjoyment, not mine, in case you're wondering. I was really tempted to do it last year, but I wanted to make sure that she was old enough to get the most out of the experience. So on Saturday, John and Carter and I took Katelyn to the mall to create her new best friend.

It was so hard to pick an animal. Especially because every time she fell in love with one, we gave her the stuffingless body and she was severely disappointed. She did not want to take home a lifeless shell of a pet.

She was mesmerized by the stuffing machine.

Look at her face! She so tenderly brushed her bear in the fake bathtub. She loves to tell people how she gave her bear a bath and fluffed him up with the brush.

Dad helps her try the princess dress on her bear.

This is Lizzy. She was set on naming her Katelyn, but we convinced
her to share her middle name (Elizabeth) instead.

As we should have expected, the box was the most exciting part! She is still carrying it around with a collection of toys inside, despite its broken handles and dilapidated condition. John and I thought this was the cutest thing ever:


By the way, these days I find myself wondering daily if Katelyn is turning 4 or 14. Tonight she called to me from her bed and asked me if she could get out. I said no, and she did her best to reason with me. "I have to tell you something. It's just better if I tell the truth." (You can tell that we've been working on the truth vs. lying issue.) "Sometimes people just need to hop out of their beds." This was said in all seriousness, and when it didn't work, she tried this tactic. "Just listen. It's really simple. You just have to let kids hop out of their beds." I had to put my head down and shield my face with my hand so that she couldn't see me laughing. It cracked me up, especially since she sounds so much like me!

4 comments:

Stephanie said...

I am still laughing out loud about katelyn's hilarious attempt to "hop" out of bed! She kills me! I loved the cute pictures of her build-a-bear trip, too. How fun! I can't wait to take Sophie someday...

Elise said...

LOL. Boy do we miss Katie. I truly empathize with the whole Christmas/Birthday thing. What nice parents!

nathansara said...

Adorable pictures. Glad to hear that Katelyn enjoyed herself at Build-A-Bear. Kudos to those who had the idea to make it a store.

My favorite part about raising children is when they say the darnest things. I hope you wrote that one down in her book to show her when she is a mother of what she did. Love it.
Thanks for sharing.

[alisar] said...

Build-a-Bear is a dream come true. Yes, it is super pricey, but even in my cheap opinion, worth every penny. The kids love it so very much! Cute cute cute.