Saturday, November 3, 2007

My best buddy

On Wednesday I got a call from John in the middle of the day. He asked me if I would go on a date with him Friday night. He had already arranged for his mom to take the kids - overnight! The excitement lasted the rest of the week, and I could barely stay focused yesterday as I took care of the kids and cleaned the house and got myself ready for our big date.

We had a blast! We had planned dinner and a movie, but we were running late, so we skipped dinner. We saw American Gangster, which was 3 hours long! But it didn't seem that long because it was a good show, and we got to hold hands and eat candy and popcorn and not worry about a thing. On the way home, at 11:30, we grabbed our favorite mexican food - Albertos. We sat in front of the tv eating super nachos and watching Scrubs and Survivor, and we were giddy with the excitement of having no responsibilities. We went to bed much to late, knowing that we wouldn't be awakened in the night and that we could sleep in.

By 8 am I couldn't sleep any longer, so we got up. Since we saved money on dinner last night, we decided to go to breakfast. Before we had kids, we always went to breakfast on the weekends. We really enjoy eating monster-sized portions of super unhealthy food and talking and talking about nothing and everything.

The whole experience was so wonderful. John and I try to have alone time every night, but there's something special about really being alone. I am so grateful to my awesome mother-in-law, who sacrificed sleep and her clean house to take the kids for so long. And the kids had more fun than they would have with us at home, so it was good for everyone! If you haven't done something like this in a while, I highly recommend it.

2 comments:

Lucy said...

So much fun! I need to do something like that with jay soon. It sounds like you are recharged:)

BAK said...

I am glad that you guys had so much fun (and a little jealous!)

You guys are such great people! We have so much fun being your friends.