Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Daylight Savings

Before we had kids, I thought daylight savings was great. Switch things up a little bit, it's darker or lighter at night than you're used to. Especially in the fall, when we could stay up an extra hour on Saturday night and not pay for it the next morning. But once we had Katelyn, I saw it differently. Suddenly my neat little schedule was thrown off. The last two years have been more difficult because Carter is not a good sleeper to begin with. In fact, he has gone through another phase of waking in the middle of the night over the past couple of months. We finally had our first full week where he slept through the night - a week before the time change. The good news is that he's still sleeping all night long. The bad news is that he now wakes up at 5 am. I should use this as an opportunity to get up and get a jump on the day. But I don't. I try to encourage him to stay in bed until 6 am, which is the earliest acceptable wake up time in my book. And then I lie in bed until 6:30 when John leaves for work, mourning over my lost sleep. I know, I'm a big baby. I think that once his body adjusts - he is going to bed an hour later than he was used to - he'll be back on track, and hopefully sleeping until 6. There is hope.

On a happy note, the fall weather here has been just beautiful. The last two days have been so mild that the kids have spent almost the entire day running around the back yard with sweatshirts on. They're having a blast with the new trampoline, and they're making the most of the track John made for them to ride their Power Wheels on. I will be sad when it's too cold for them to last very long, and when the snow is too deep for them to play with their toys. For now, we'll enjoy the nice autumn weather, and I'll get as much done as possible before I have to start entertaining them inside again.

2 comments:

Becky said...

I'm totally with you! I can't stand the time changes! My earliest acceptable wake-up time is 7, but now when James wakes up at 6:30 (or earlier) I think, "Well, to him it feels like 7:30..." It's driving me crazy!

Great job, Katelyn, writing your name!

Elise said...

Ditto, Ditto, Ditto....

e

p.s. props to Kate.