Monday, November 12, 2007

A Whole Lot O' Potty

Before we found this book at the library, Carter didn't know who Ernie was. (If my kids watch Sesame Street, it's only for Elmo's World.) But who can resist that huge orange head with the little black tuft of hair on top? Seriously, Carter fell in love with Ernie! He had shown interest in sitting on the potty a few times after seeing Katie do it, but this really made it interesting for him. So for the last 6 or 8 weeks, Carter has gone #1 on the potty at least once a day. He can take off his pants and climb up onto the big potty all by himself!

I went to get a diaper for Carter when he woke up this morning and realized that we're down to our last 1/4 of a box (that's about 44 diapers in the giant Costco box). Being the cheapskate that I am, I decided today was the day. I'm going to train him before I have to buy diapers again. So we put on his Thomas the Train underwear and got started.

What a day! I set a timer for 20 minutes after the first potty trip. For the rest of the morning, I had him go and then set the timer for 20 minutes again, over and over and over and over. I put a diaper on him for his nap. After naptime, we went to 30 minutes. He only had two accidents all day, and I consider them my fault because I ignored the timer for a few minutes both times.

I was way behind on laundry this morning, so I also had a timer going off every hour to change loads. So you can imagine my day - laundry from dryer to basket, laundry from washer to dryer, new load in washer & scrub out the stains from the kids' clothes, take Carter to potty, fold and put away laundry, try to work on other cleaning projects, take Carter to potty, start laundry regimen again. It was actually a productive day. I cleaned and organized my bedroom (which has been a dumping ground and completely ignored while I've been focusing on painting), including the closet, and cleaned and vacuumed the van.

I hope I'm not going about this potty training thing all wrong. I really messed it up with Katelyn, starting and stopping and using Pull-Ups and then not. This time I just want to do it once and make it stick. I've been holding off, but he really seems to want to do it. I know he's little, so I hope it's not too soon. Wish me luck! We'll be doing the same routine tomorrow!

2 comments:

BAK said...

Good luck today!

Becky said...

It sounds like you're doing it right, especially since he's so interested. You're lucky he doesn't protest sitting on the potty. I think when they protest and fight it is when you should quit and wait a while longer to start again. The key is the parent being consistent, and that's where I've failed! But James (who is HOW much older that Carter?) had a great day yesterday. He wore underwear all day and only had one accident.