Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Free Stuff

My husband has a new addiction. It requires access to the internet and a cell phone at all times. It prompts him to call me in the middle of Carter's nap and ask if I want to drive 30 miles and disassemble a shed and try to fit it in our van. As you can tell, I've been a little poopy about my husband's new hobby. But I should have a better attitude, because it has really benefited us. For the last few weeks, John has been checking the "free stuff" sections of Craig's List and KSL.com (our local t.v. station has a website with a classified section) religiously. He has found that if something really good is posted, you have to call within minutes or you miss out. I think he got our trampoline by calling 7 minutes after it was posted. (Maybe it was sooner, I'm not really sure.) Yes, we have a trampoline. It's a nice one - not a hole or even a scratch on it. And, at John's insistence, we set it up while the rest of the state is taking them down and storing them for the winter. But my husband is a genius, and the kids are in heaven. Carter was outside before 8 am yesterday, jumping his little heart out (dressed in his Halloween tiger costume, of course). It's so cute, because he barely makes a dent in the trampoline, no matter how high he jumps.

Here are a few more free things we've gotten over the last week or two:

This Rubbermaid storage shed sells for more than $200 at Home Depot. And it's in perfect condition. You'd never even know it's been used.

John has been wanting a gas grill since last year in Spokane, when we tried to barbecue for everyone on our tiny charcoal grill. This one is definitely used, but in great shape. It worked perfectly for grilling up the fish he caught this past weekend.

This Thomas the Train toddler bed was Carter's favorite thing before we got the trampoline. He absolutely loves it, and last night he slept the entire night (at least until 5 am) in it for the first time! We still have his crib set up in his room, and that's where he's been sleeping because he usually won't stay in his Thomas bed.

It must seem like we're beggars or something, but I don't feel bad about taking things from people who want to get rid of them and saving money in the process. As long as we don't fill our house and yard with too much stuff. Sorry I've been such a brat about it, John. You've gotten us some awesome things.

8 comments:

BAK said...

I personally like the trampoline best. Espcially when trying out said trampoline is mandatory for all visitors. John is such a nut!

Stephanie said...

I haven't been blogging this past little while-- and I was shocked to see how many new posts you've written since I've checked last! I have so many comments. Where do I start?

First of all, you guys have totally scored in the free stuff department! Way to go, John! Sophie will LOVE your trampoline. Maybe we'll have to start looking at the free stuff on KSL more often...

I think that it was so cute that John called to "ask you on a date" last week. I purposely told Cory so that maybe he would try it, too! I'll have to let you know if he took the hint.

I love all the cute things you wrote about Katelyn and Carter. They are such sweet, wonderful little kids. It's neat to be able to see them a little bit through their mom's eyes. When I'm hanging out at your house, we are usually paying more attention to each other than to each other's kids, so I miss out on the cute stuff they do most of the time. I can't wait until Inge is a little older and more able to play and interact with Sophie. (and fight, too, I'm sure!)

Anyhow, it was way fun to read all your new posts. I love the new look of your blog, too. It is so classy-- which totally fits you. :-)

Elise said...

Sweet stuff! Gosh, you (or I guess John) and Becky are pros!!!

Elise said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
luvmy5boyscora said...

Melanie...your blog is so cute!!! I absolutely LOVE your before and after pics of your house! So cute...I love your desk area. I love your green paint and your white cupboards and trim. Good job you guys!

[alisar] said...

Whoa! Score! The only stuff I find in the free section is broken. John has a gift!
You two are so cute with your overnight date! That is so Bachelor. Did he give you a rose???

Becky said...

Wow! I didn't know people gave away stuff for free like that. James would probably kill for that Thomas bed! I just bought him a Thomas Halloween costume for 1/2 price. It will probably be thrashed by next year, but I guess he can just use it as a "dress-up" even if he never gets to wear it for Halloween. (Do you say "dress-up" for boys? Probably not.) Anyway, James still sleeps in his crib! I can't believe little Carter is passing him up!

Melanie said...

Well, Carter's in his crib tonight. He came out of his room twice after I put him in bed, and that was enough for me. We have enough trouble with Katelyn not staying in bed that I just don't have the patience for it with him. I think it's ok to say "dress-up" for boys.