Saturday, May 3, 2008

Things I will pay others to do for me in the future

Like everyone, I've always had this little wishlist in the back of my mind. Someday, I won't have to do this - I'll pay someone else to do it. Well I felt this very strongly the other night when I bathed the dog. She is very good in the tub, yet I still got soaked, as did my entire bathroom and the hall. And I had to protect my furniture for the next few hours because I have no idea how to get a dog truly dry, and wet dog fur STINKS! So my house reeked like wet dog for the next 24 hours. I never understood why people would pay someone else to bathe their dog. It's an easy enough job, right? Well, now I get it. Someday, when I go out to run errands, I'll first drop the dog at the groomer where she'll get a bath, all of that excess hair brushed out onto someone else's floor, and her nails trimmed by someone else who wants to get bitten repeatedly. When I pick her up, she'll be close enough to dry that I dare take her back to my spotless and pretty-smelling home. What a nice little story, huh? Here's my list of other things I plan to pawn off on poor willing souls in the future:

  • Putting up sheetrock, taping, mudding & sanding
  • Scraping popcorn ceilings
  • Cleaning my toilets (this will be a chore for the kids when they're old enough, before I let the cleaning lady take over the responsibility)
  • Scrubbing the bathtub and shower (another kids' chore)
  • Cleaning the carpets
  • Washing, waxing, & vacuuming the car (another one for the kids, unless it's my cute little convertible Jag - that will need to be professionally detailed)
  • Ironing my husband's dress shirts (I'll send his shirts out to be washed, starched, & pressed -this one will happen sooner than most of the items on the list)
  • Installing flooring (I should admit that my husband really did this for us, not me, but I don't want him to ever suffer that torture again!)
  • Packing up boxes and moving our own belongings
  • Washing blinds
  • Washing the outsides of my windows
  • Dusting, particularly floorboards and hard-to-reach places like the top of the fridge
  • And last, but not least, I can't wait to get laser hair removal so that I never have to shave or pluck again!

Now, I can almost guarantee that this is not a complete list. I feel like I'm forgetting a lot, and I know I'll be adding to it in the future. Lots of these things will be delegated to my kids when they have the coordination and skills necessary. As lazy as I sound, I also have a list of things I'll probably never pay someone to do because I'm too darn cheap:

  • Snake my toilet (John and I have both had experience with this fun one, but plumbers cost a fortune!)
  • Deliver my Chinese food - As nice as it sounds, take-out usually comes with a 15% discount and you don't have to tip the driver.
  • Lawn/yard care - Why pay someone when my husband is so good at it? No, seriously, even if John didn't mow, I would, and I enjoy taking care of the flowerbeds and the garden we're about to have (I hope?).
  • Vacuum - This is one of my favorite chores. Rarely does a day go by when I don't get out the vacuum.
  • Paint my toenails - I love pedicures, but I've never gotten a really good paint job. I'm very picky about the paint on my toenails.

So there you have it! Are there things that you would or wouldn't love to pay someone else to do for you?

3 comments:

BAK said...

Hmm....

- Having my groceries delivered (I'd throw in more if they put them away, but that might be stretching it)

- Pulling weeds out of my flower beds (kids should do this, right?)

- Someone to professionally design my flower beds each year so that they always look great, no matter what season. I'd plant the stuff, but just someone to buy it all & tell me where to plant it.

That's all I can think of now! Great topic!

Elise said...

I will have bi-weekly mani's and pedi's. I am convinced that you just have to find a good technician. When you get a good one the paint job will last forever and it looks beautiful! I'll probably throw in a massage too : )

Sadly, I'll probably maintain the cleaning jobs. I don't mind it too much and can't think of what I'd do if I didn't have an hour of housework every morning. It's probably like your walk or something... Anyway, I'd probably have to do it all over again, since I am OCD about the house. However, I am NOT attached to laundry in any way shape or form... so maybe I should add a laundress to my list... hmmm.

Thanks for making me smile and dream about the future : ) Miss you!

Becky said...

Ooh, laundry for sure! Hate it.

I hate asking people for rides to and from the airport, even though I don't mind when other people ask me! So I wonder if we'll ever make a habit of driving ourselves to the airport and paying to leave the car there while we're gone. Or hire a driver, because the curbside service IS nice!

I would definitely have babysitters more often if I felt like I could afford it.

I think it would be nice to hire a photographer for birthday parties so we could concentrate more on the kids and the party and less on the cameras. But then you never know it they would focus on the same things you would. Plus I like taking pictures.

I'm sure there's lots more that I just can't think of right now.